AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering acquiring a receiver or two for future build projects (although I won't be doing the work myself). Of the two AK74 receivers I see available, there is the NDS-2 & AUSA 5.45 x 39. Is there an advantage or negative to either? Also, wanted to know about the gas piston tubes. Is there any appreciable difference (other than the gas escape holes) on a AKM tube -vs- one for a AK74? Lastly, want to get some 922r 5.45 x 39 followers. I have some Arsenal 922r floor plates & followers for 7.62 x 39 (and understand the floor plates will work on some 5.45 x 39 mags like Bulgarian). Have seen reference to "Grasshopper" brand followers but have yet to find the source for them. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Both receivers are gtg. Nodakspud receivers are more correct aka true to form for eastern bloc receivers. Armory usa were designed to work well but not look so correct looking. I've used both and can't really find a problem with either. You don't want to use a vented gas tube on a rifle not intended for it. Iirc the vented tubes are for rifles with larger gas ports. I don't have any idea on us made 5.45 followers.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Given the choice I'd go with Nodak. I've never had a problem with them, and I'm all about how the rifle looks. AUSA puts their logo on the side of the receiver. That's a turn off for me, NDS had in on the bottom where you can't see it unless you flip it upside down.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for your replies. Yes, the spring on the gas tube...means the one I have is GTG. Have been wanting to put together a clone E.German AK74. I have all the furniture so may just end up putting it on a Bulgy parts kit build, but don't think I will scrub the trunion (it won't make it any more E. German). I kind of like that configuration...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts