AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting into building and i was wondering what do i need besides the parts kit? I see that it doesnt come with a barrel, or receiver, so where can i get those?. Another thing, I live in Ohio, is there any Ak builders get togethers?

Here's the parts kit I was looking to get
AK74 Bulgarian Parts Kit with Wood Furniture and lots of free extras! Special Sale

I appreciate your time! Let me know what you guys think!

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Best bet would be to see if someone close by could help. Add the total of all the parts you need and the kit you are buying, and what it would cost to have built, may be better off to buy one already built cost wise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best bet would be to see if someone close by could help. Add the total of all the parts you need and the kit you are buying, and what it would cost to have built, may be better off to buy one already built cost wise.
Just now getting into guns, i really wanted to know how it work and the parts and pieces together. I was reading another thread about classic firearms, they have ak74 for 599.99. Building one would feel really nice.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I know what you mean on building one. Back when things were cheaper, I found a guy who had the tools, that helped me build a Polish under folder, it is my favorite. I'm glad I did it.

·
Technical Advisor
15,508 Posts
buying a kit to build - ouch, pricey
finding a barrel to use - ouch quality and pricey
Buying tools to build - pricey
finding a build party - hard., but a great resource and best value
educating yourself on building - takes effort and time but worthwhile
building your own AKM - priceless :)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Like someone said, it wouldnt be cost effictive to build just one. The tooling adds up to quite a bit. Check out www.ak-builder.com and www.tothtools.com, that will give you an idea of what you'll need. A 12 or 20 ton press is a good investiment, I got mine off craigslist for 100 dollars. If you do decide to go ahead, my suggestion would be buy a kit that already has a barrel populated and headspaced, and a 100% receiver from www.Nodakspud.com. That way you can ease yourself into the build process without being overwhelmed. I have 7 builds done so far and just now have I completly demilled, then repopulated a new barrel and drilled for oversized barrel pin. Just took me a bit since Im not the most technically inclined person here. But its easy once you have the right tools and knowledge. Warning though, once you get started building, its a very addicting habit. Luckily there are a lot of people here who can tell you exactly what you need and guide you in the process.

Welcome aboard.

I'm just getting into building and i was wondering what do i need besides the parts kit? I see that it doesnt come with a barrel, or receiver, so where can i get those?. Another thing, I live in Ohio, is there any Ak builders get togethers?

Here's the parts kit I was looking to get
AK74 Bulgarian Parts Kit with Wood Furniture and lots of free extras! Special Sale

I appreciate your time! Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nodakspud for the receiver. Various places for barrels (if they're in stock)--Apex, Alantic firearms, Classic firearms, Arms of America, Kvar. Just google these. Make sure you have a complete list of what you need, it'll save on shipping. You also need rivets, on a 74 I always add a scope rail. Ak-builder is also a good source for parts. Last you need lots of tools and drill bits and reamers. So if you can find someone to help you build and not have to expend all the cash for one build its worth it. I built all of my own jigs, but if you have to buy them they can easily cost you $700 or more just in jigs and tools. I easily have $300 in reamers, drill bits, jig parts, and shop press. Fortunately, I had many of the tools because of my other hobbies (grinders, dremel, drill press, etc). I have built 15 or so just to make it worth the money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
buying a kit to build - ouch, pricey
finding a barrel to use - ouch quality and pricey
Buying tools to build - pricey
finding a build party - hard., but a great resource and best value
educating yourself on building - takes effort and time but worthwhile
building your own AKM - priceless :)
hahaha reading this and i already love the forums lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nodakspud for the receiver. Various places for barrels (if they're in stock)--Apex, Alantic firearms, Classic firearms, Arms of America, Kvar. Just google these. Make sure you have a complete list of what you need, it'll save on shipping. You also need rivets, on a 74 I always add a scope rail. Ak-builder is also a good source for parts. Last you need lots of tools and drill bits and reamers. So if you can find someone to help you build and not have to expend all the cash for one build its worth it. I built all of my own jigs, but if you have to buy them they can easily cost you $700 or more just in jigs and tools. I easily have $300 in reamers, drill bits, jig parts, and shop press. Fortunately, I had many of the tools because of my other hobbies (grinders, dremel, drill press, etc). I have built 15 or so just to make it worth the money.
I'm just going to have to do some digging looking from someone with tools that i can use. There has to be someone in cleveland Ohio that would love to help out a new builder build a AK =) I'm looking for the experience and the knowledge building, and understand how the gun works. So they have a surplus of AK parts from countries that dont want them any more, am i getting this right? They then take a blow torch to the ak and cut up the receiver and barrel then sell the rest for parts online?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
In a sense yes. With more of the Eastern European countries becoming part of NATO, a requirement is to adopt the 5.56 round. So they have AKM's and AK74's chambered in 5.45/7.62 that they are no longer really using outside maybe training purpose or reserve weapons, so they offer the weapons up for sale to a company who they imports them, cuts the barrel and receiver, then sells the parts kit to other companies here who then sell it to us. After all they know how we love guns, problem is we've been bleeding the old armories dry lately, hence the increase in prices. Theres still a silver lining though, not to long ago a good amount of Polish AKM's were imported, many of us who bought them were very surprised at the condition and year they were manufactured. Also, www.Apexgunparts.com got a hold of excellent condition Yugo M70b1's (waiting on my receiver to finish the build) and some Romanian MD90's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here are some questions i asked myself, and a lot of people are saying 7.62 rather then the 5.45? Some people say 5.45 is dirtier and corrsive and the 7.62 is cheaper and cleaner? I found parts kit for about $299 not sure what to get there are so many countries of AK.

Polish AK47 KIT
http://armsofamerica.com/polishakm-47partskit.aspx#reviews

1st, What caliber do you prefer?
7.62×39 or 5.45×39 ?
This will tell you what to search for, an AK47 or an AK74
2nd, What options are available for you?
In your price range
In stock at stores
Used options

For the range
Shooting Sports
Target Practice
Hunting
Home / Property Defense
Collecting
Investment
Civil Defense
Hobby / Project

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In a sense yes. With more of the Eastern European countries becoming part of NATO, a requirement is to adopt the 5.56 round. So they have AKM's and AK74's chambered in 5.45/7.62 that they are no longer really using outside maybe training purpose or reserve weapons, so they offer the weapons up for sale to a company who they imports them, cuts the barrel and receiver, then sells the parts kit to other companies here who then sell it to us. After all they know how we love guns, problem is we've been bleeding the old armories dry lately, hence the increase in prices. Theres still a silver lining though, not to long ago a good amount of Polish AKM's were imported, many of us who bought them were very surprised at the condition and year they were manufactured. Also, www.Apexgunparts.com got a hold of excellent condition Yugo M70b1's (waiting on my receiver to finish the build) and some Romanian MD90's.
Very interesting history there, so possibly in the near future NATO will get rid of 556 rounds and move onto the next caliber. The history of guns having been evolving, so it makes sense that they would make a new caliber. The AR of today would be like the AK's that are being sold for parts here, by the time im 60 the AK will be like fossils.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Regarding the corossive/dirty ammo, the dirty stuff is the 5.45 Russian military surplus stuff. Newly manufactured 5.45/7.62 isnt really that bad. But thats what chrome lined barrels are for. I personally prefer the 5.45 over the 7.62. Very light recoil, easy to manage, and the price per round is still about 8 cents cheaper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a good place to start now, but finding someone with tools to use is going to be interesting, Anyone from cleveland Ohio?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Good luck with you build!

·
Technical Advisor
15,508 Posts
Regarding the corossive/dirty ammo, the dirty stuff is the 5.45 Russian military surplus stuff. Newly manufactured 5.45/7.62 isnt really that bad. But thats what chrome lined barrels are for. I personally prefer the 5.45 over the 7.62. Very light recoil, easy to manage, and the price per round is still about 8 cents cheaper.
All ammunition is "dirty" and firearms require cleaning after shooting. It has been so for over 100 years. No big deal.
Kit building has become expensive as the price of kits has increased and the barrel ban of 2005 ended the import of used barrels. So it is. You have to decide if building is in the range of your shop skills and tool accessibility. A build party is the best alternative.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
12 ton press
spot welder with ak builder tongs
trunnion drilling jig for 7.62, I don't have the 5.45 attachment
polish blank drilling jig
barrel assembly tools (tons of these and different types as well)
headspace gauges CIP 7.62
barrel install and removal tools (to push out pins etc.....)
dremels tool (2) and various handy attachments, burrs, cut off wheels, etc...
rivet tools, short, long, dimpled, it's all good
trigger guard rivet tool
reamers 5mm and 7mm
oversize barrel pin reamer and os barrel pins
1/4" end mill for cutting the barrel pin slot
AK builder receiver jig for 1mm flats
Mig welder
drill press
grinder
Belt sander
Reciprocating saw
Mini grinder
Mapp torch
Bench vise
Lots of bench room.
misc. power and hand tools
Possibly a 6" lathe if I have time to set it up.

Thats a lot of tools for building a AK, been trying to find people.

·
Technical Advisor
15,508 Posts
^ All of those tools are not required. Some are basic necessity and others are nice to have but there are alternatives and cheaper methods to build with. But the basic tools are several hundred dollars if you purchase them yourself. And the shop skills to use them is another factor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts