AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum so I hope I am posting this In the right place. I purchased a bulgarian ak74 FSB and bulgarian ak74 muzzle brake. The problem is I can't get the brake to screw on all the way. It only goes on less then half way then stops. The threads are in good shape on both parts. I have soaked both in PB blaster and cleaned with a wire brush. It still won't go on. Are these brakes just supposed to be on supper tight or is there something I am missing? I don't want to torque down on it too hard. Both parts are taken from a parts kit and are from the same type of rifle.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Welcome to the group!

You are smart in not trying to force the brake on. It should thread all the way with just light finger pressure. Guessing you have checked the barrel threads completely and don't see any burrs or divots in them, the next thing would be to give the threads inside the break a good check. There has to be a piece of dirt or something that is not easy to see that is giving you the fits.

If you don't have the correct tap to run into the break, the next best thing I have found is a dental pick to follow the threads as deeply as you can. You might find something inside (possible damage) that is causing the problem.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
picture is worth a thousand words. most likely busted thread thread somewhere, can't see very well inside the brake. ak74 breaks are loose and shifty a bit even when screwed on completely.

if you have a friend with AK74 try his brake on your FSB and your break on his FSB. this should quickly indicated which one is a problem

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your help. I got the break to go all the way on! I lubed the threads on the FSB and brake with a hi temp grease. Then I went against my better judgement, put it in a vice, stuck a screw driver through the square hole and torqued down on it really hard. It went all the way down in place like it is supposed to. Then I loosened the brake, took it out of the vice to inspect the threads and there was no damage at all. Also no damage from the screw driver. Now I can screw the thing all the way on with just three fingers without any issue. I guess maybe doing this just realigned the threads or something.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah probobly. I don't know what the deal was just glad it works now. Unfortunatly I can't shoot it yet becasuse the FSB and GB are not installed on the rifle yet. I plan on installing them this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts