AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Technical Advisor
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished the 5.56 build., (except for final metal finish and furniture choice). I made this way more complicated than it needed to be.

I started this build about 18 months ago I think. As an issue arose I put it aside to do something else and then came back to figure out what was next.
Initial idea was a 5.56 on a AK74 base 5.45 kit ($179 from Desert Fox).
I had a $50 NDS single stack receiver that I opened up the receiver for Bulgy 5.56 waffles
STG 940/941 East German 5.56 barrel CLHF ($125 at Apex)., turned it down on the lathe., pretty much front to back for AK74 profile.

After that it kinda went sideways., a friend did a 5.56 build using a 5.45 bolt and had feed issues like crazy.
So I decided to use a Yugo small stem short lug bolt & carrier to resolve the issue.
Well..., as it turns out my friend had trimmed up the 5.45 bullet guide and smoothed off the rear dimples and ridge. Only later did we realize this was the issue of poor feed all along. Doh!:sad_small
Meanwhile., I discovered the odd setback on the barrel with the Bulgarian long lug trunnion and Yugo short lug bolt. Initially it was fine and after headspace and pinning the barrel., doh! only then did I realize the bullet guide ramp was way forward..., the bullet guide ramp was not correct on the 5.45 guide. As I tested it as I went along it fed and cammmed great on the carrier but no ramp/camming contact on the guide.
OK., pull that Bulgy 5.45 guide and use a Bulgarian 5.56 bullet guide. No soap it would not feed at all and jammed straight into the chamber face. Crap.
Remove 5.56 guide from the built and riveted receiver/trunnion and install 5.45 back in with a weld bead at the ramp.
All good., but this was a long journey overall. Test fire planned on Friday. I hope it cycles properly and shoots straight after the journey. Live and learn.
Liking it so far., nothing special but after the headaches I hope it is a good shooter.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Very nice. Learning is good. I wish I could remember more of the stuff I had to learn the hard way. I take that back, if I could remember everything I've learned there might not be room for new stuff!

·
Technical Advisor
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took out the 5.56 on Friday for test fire and basic zero.. Kinda cold & muddy., so only shot it at 50 yards. Sights were dead on for windage and needed about a total of one complete turn., up, on the sight post to correct for elevation. Shooting 1.5-2 inch groups easy as pie. I think this will be accurate and I'll try an optic soon. Cycled flawlessly.

·
Technical Advisor
15,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
now how hard is it to go the other way meaning 5.56 2 5.45?
Hard in the sense there are few 5.56 kits out there. Depends on what you are doing., kit build, caliber conversion only? Cost is another matter., bolts, barrels and smith work (if not a home builder), Coud easily run $400-$600 for a caliber change.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Hard in the sense there are few 5.56 kits out there. Depends on what you are doing., kit build, caliber conversion only? Cost is another matter., bolts, barrels and smith work (if not a home builder), Coud easily run $400-$600 for a caliber change.
just asking cuz a 5.56 krink kit went up for sale and was wondering how hard it would be to change to 5.45

1 - 8 of 8 Posts