AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
AK55 gunshow find today PICS UP!

Over the last several years you just dont see hardly any ak stuff at local gunshows.
You may see one or two current manufacture rifles that are over priced.
Mag's and parts are the same. Tapco and pro mags, and Korean thats about it.
But, once in awhile you'll come up with something good. Today was one of those days.
I bought a AK55 front end with stub. It still has selector markings intact. Top cover, bolt and carrier, all matching.
Also has trigger guard, fcg, selector, recoil asy. Pretty much just missing the pistol grip & hardware, and butt stock.
I got it at a fair price. I always try to haggle, but didnt try on this one. The finish on everything is Real nice, and bore is in great shape.

I'll try to get some pics up

Edit: I am kinda illiterate on formatting pics. I took pics, just need my wife to tune them up and get them posted.
14mbr3tt4 hit the X ring on price
. 05 AK55 Stub.jpg 06 AK55 Right Profile.jpg 07 AK55 Front Barrel.jpg

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
My guess is $300

·
Registered
22,636 Posts
It's fairly easy to post pics once you get them on your computer.

Click on the "insert image" icon (that picture looking thing next to the quote balloon)

Click on "from computer"

Click "basic uploader"

Click "Browse"

Find the files that you want and either double-click on them or select them and press 'open"

Click "upload"

The forum should do the rest. I have Firefox running with adblock so the directions might vary a little from what you actually see.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Well then tnhick that's an awesome score!

Thats one Ill probably never find at a reasonable price, unless some more make their way here!

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
Good for you! All the hard to find parts were included. Make sure the barrel is good with a magnifying glass. Don't understand why, but I've seen a number of beautiful AK55 kits with barrels that look shiny at first glance and may even pass a bullet test OK, but closer examination showed serious erosion at both ends w/ busted lands, etc. Hungarian AKM barrels seem much more durable than the milled series.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
10G Thanks for the info. I have them formatted, and will try to get them up shortly.
AZAK, Thanks for the advice. I have a Gordan Tech build that is starting to get some light frosting in the grooves. That being said, it is the most accurate 7.62 AK I own.
The barrel on the kit looks pretty good. No busted lands, didnt notice any frosting either, and I was looking.
I have 4 Polish type 3 barrels as well. 2 are in kits, and are like new. These came from Global Trades in 2000. (I've owned them maybe 8 months) 2 are in firing rifles. These are showing some light frosting similar to the GT rifle. Otherwise these barrels are in very good condition. Based on this limited experience, I am starting to think frosting in the grooves of E.European T3 barrels is common.
I recently read a test comparing the wear to chrome plated barrels using bi-metal, and copper jacketed bullets. This test involved the AR platform in 5.56, but I think there are parallels to 7.62. It showed that bi-metal jackets wore the bore to the point that key-holing started at between 5-6K rounds. It also showed that at 10k rounds the barrel that used copper jacketed bullets was still stabilizing the projectile.
I really enjoy shooting these type 3 rifles. I look at them as investments, but also pieces of history that I can enjoy. I dont use these to burn through mags. Has anyone tried to find original T3 barrels from Hungary or Poland lately? Good luck! With this in mind, and taking the above mentioned test into consideration, I have convinced myself to only run copper jacketed ammo through these Vintage Type 3 rifles. On the other hand, I have no problem running bi-metal jackets in a current manufacture rifle.
Pics up soon

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got a threaded firing line fixed stock receiver I original figured I would use to build this up.
After study'in on it for a bit, I want to do a reweld.
I need to do some research, and see what-who my options are.
Anyone have pics of AK55 rewelds they can show?
With attention to the weld areas?
thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Try Matt or TRA. I've seen a lot of good rewelds they have done through this forum over the years. Try a search with the keyword "reweld." Also, you might want to look in TRAs sub forum.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I would go with two rivers arms their welds are superior

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Good looking kit too lots of finish left

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Id go max 450.00 300.00 would be a good deal.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Id go max 450.00 300.00 would be a good deal.

You would still be lucky to find one like that for twice the price.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You would still be lucky to find one like that for twice the price.
After more thought I believe you are right. I have one of the original SER-1 rifles and Troy did an excellent job. Didnt cost 3x or more than any kit build. Of course the main reflextion would be as all are saying is to reweld or even get a new compliant receiver if even possible.
What persistence can do for a really good buy I can duly say is in the ability of the buyer to arrange a sale by cash or with a trade and cash extra or even back. Never underestimate your ability to corner a great deal. You have Absolutely Nothing to use. And if a month later its still up for sale, call and renegotiate another deal. In any case, this kit would produce a very nice piece of work!

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Well I did finally score myself one ;)

Not quite a steal like tnhick got but still pretty good.

Got a gunbroker tip on a $500 kit without stubs. I have a nice stub!

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Well I did finally score myself one ;)

Not quite a steal like tnhick got but still pretty good.

Got a gunbroker tip on a $500 kit without stubs. I have a nice stub!
Yep, worth every penny. These are awesome kits

I love how tnhick's has the entire lightening cut as well. Is that common on these?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Yep, worth every penny. These are awesome kits

I love how tnhick's has the entire lightening cut as well. Is that common on these?
I think I have only seen the long cut stubs with these kits. Not sure what the deal was on the original stub with this particular kit, but an attempt was made to cut it off.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
WTF man, this thread is killing me. That kit looks incredible too! I gotta keep an eye out now for one of these. I'm assuming the selector marks couldn't be saved, but it's still really cool to see em. Thanks for the pic

1 - 20 of 34 Posts