AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the "Ak47, The grim reaper 2nd edition" book; it's just as informative as the first one, however they need to fire their editor.
like with the first edition there are a lot of simple grammatical errors. Also they keep calling the Wz88 tantal the "vz88".
Over all though good book, great read!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I lost my 1st Edition copy in a remodel gone wrong. Wish I could find one still NIW. Oh well...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've got the first one as well. Hopefully they will do a third edition and maybe fit some of these simple errors.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
It happens. I have not seen Ed II but there were probably 50 errors in pictures, descriptions or technical details in Ed I. But a good reference book for sure.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah in the first edition they actually printed a picture over some of the writing! So that part is fixed in the 2nd book.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Yea, its an awesome book actually. Some of the info and pics are from forum members past and present too, which is very cool. I have the first but was very happy I got the second. At a good price too....

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I was a contributor to the 2nd edition and was honored to be so...after conversing with Frank on a few of the technical details of what it took to put this thing together I am amazed at the finished product...it'll be one of my most favored texts on the Ak forever...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It would almost be better if they did a separate volume on: Pouches & gear, The ak rifles, magazines, maybe ammo.
And brain pick the guys on here some more.
Split it up so that they can cover more detail especially on the mags and what not that goes with the ak.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just finished this last week. Read it like a novel, against the advice of the author. Bit of an over load that way but what the hell.
I did cheat halfway and skipped to the color pics in the back about halfway into it.
Great book. I don't recall any glaring printing errors, typos or anything similar off the top of my head but as I read a ton I tend to just ignore those things generally.
I agree a mag, bayo, general accessories volume would be a fine addition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Only inaccuracy I have found other than what was already mentioned is on page 157 where it says "They are the same height as the respective ranges on the ramp: 400 meters for the AK-74 and 300 meters for the AKM." IIRC the AK-74's battle zero is 440 meters but that is splitting hairs.

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
Do either edition spotlight the East German or Romanian Rimfire Variants or the rarer Polish Mini beryl Archer in .22 lr or Rare Production variants of the Saiga 22 AKM variants ?

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Only inaccuracy I have found other than what was already mentioned is on page 157 where it says "They are the same height as the respective ranges on the ramp: 400 meters for the AK-74 and 300 meters for the AKM." IIRC the AK-74's battle zero is 440 meters but that is splitting hairs.
The Soviet military AK-74 field manual states both numbers. Under the technical description of the individual firearm parts, they state "440 meters", but the instructions that cover operational use of the firearm, under sight range adjustments, they state "400 meters". From a practical and convenience point of view, I'd say they teach conscripts a rounded down 400 meters, at least on the range in relationship on how to use the sights.

I hope that helps clear up any confusion folks have.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The East German AK-74 manual says the battle sight setting is 400 meters. The US Army AK manual says the battle setting of the AK-74 was found to be, "approximately 450 meters." With open sights on an AK at a quarter of a mile, just about any of those numbers should be close enough for what is a battle sight setting in the first place. I believe the front sight post width is suppose to the width of a man's shoulders at 100 meters, half his width at 200 meters and one third (or head width) at 300 meters.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What did the 2nd gen books go for? I missed two copies on the files for about 50 shipped.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't recall any .22 info.
As I mentioned it all kind of blurred together in one big mass of ak goodness.
I can go check tomorrow but I don't believe any mention over a sentence or two was spent on the .22 caliber trainers.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The East German AK-74 manual says the battle sight setting is 400 meters. The US Army AK manual says the battle setting of the AK-74 was found to be, "approximately 450 meters." With open sights on an AK at a quarter of a mile, just about any of those numbers should be close enough for what is a battle sight setting in the first place. I believe the front sight post width is suppose to the width of a man's shoulders at 100 meters, half his width at 200 meters and one third (or head width) at 300 meters.
Do you mean this the other way around?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts