AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With some help from my wife we moved the Drill Press and 20 Ton Hydraulic press into the new build shop......room. Its 8x21 and should be enough space to get the build groove on. I will move all the boxes and bikes out. Wednesday I am moving a friend to a new house so not much will get done tomorrow. Thursday will see more "stuff" moved in. Not sure when my parts kits will arrive. Once they arrive I will order my Receivers. Im told 3 weeks before they arrive after ordered.

IMG_4087.jpg

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One question. Can I use the serial number on the parts kits as the serial number I will have them engrave on the receivers? Seems like the logical way to do it but don't know.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Serial / Date

One question. Can I use the serial number on the parts kits as the serial number I will have them engrave on the receivers? Seems like the logical way to do it but don't know.
Yes , I have used just the serial number or date plus serial. If by some chance your number is already in use you can add the year and your odds of it being available are greater. I have done both.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes , I have used just the serial number or date plus serial. If by some chance your number is already in use you can add the year and your odds of it being available are greater. I have done both.
. Excellent. The date as part of the serial number is great!

·
Registered
300 Posts
With some help from my wife we moved the Drill Press and 20 Ton Hydraulic press into the new build shop......room. Its 8x21 and should be enough space to get the build groove on. I will move all the boxes and bikes out. Wednesday I am moving a friend to a new house so not much will get done tomorrow. Thursday will see more "stuff" moved in. Not sure when my parts kits will arrive. Once they arrive I will order my Receivers. Im told 3 weeks before they arrive after ordered.

View attachment 279479

Your off to a good start, knowing how addicting AK's are I look forward to seeing this build room in a few months! Best of luck to you, it's awesome the family is involved too.

Reactions: Bad Comapny

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I finished moving my friend out and into his new place. Came home and my son walked in the door. Time to put the teenager to work. We cleaned out a space in the garage and went to work. New shop area was cleaned and we started bringing in all the cabinets and work tables. Took about 2 hours and looks good. I need to figure out my work flow then bolt down the Hydraulic Press and Drill Press. The shop really needs a bunch of posters with some scantily clad beautiful women holding AKs. My son said "Mom won't like that, but that's a great idea!" Heres a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
My PCP's exam room isn't that clean .

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I had two patients in today as well. My two needed grip replacements. Two things I learned. I need more lighting at night. During the day its flooded with natural light. But at night it is woefully lacking especially with my aging eyes. The other thing I learned is I really need a wall mounted gun rack when I am working on multiple guns. So next on my list is to find some type of articulated spot lights as well as replacing the one dead and two low wattage ceiling mounted lights. I also will build a wall mounted gun rack to make things easier. BUT FIRST I need to level out all the work benches. I also need some type of level work spot to check Plum and Level on the rifles/sights ect. I saw a Granite level pad that I may be able to pick up. Well I wont "pick it up" as it weighs about 2 tons. Its 4x4 and about 18" thick. Has a metal base used to hold the granite and level it. BUT I'm getting ahead of myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hate working in a mess. I understand that sometimes you just have more stuff than space. We moved from a much bigger house and a 3,000 roughly square foot shop to a smaller house and a undersized 2 car garage. No 220 volt in the garage so my industrial air compressor is still sitting in its protective wrap I put it in for the move. Not to mention the fact there are only two 110 volt plugs in the garage......WTF! The garage is barely big enough for my tools and crap. Originally I was going to fill that Office room with a bunch of stuff from the garage but then I would have been working around everything in the garage. No thank you. So this was the best solution.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Love your shop..I am wishing I had a indoor shop like you made, my garage shop is too cold to work very long right now. Looking forward to warmer weather..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
And not a single coffee maker. SMH
I just moved my mini fridge in and the coffee maker will go right on top. I also ordered a bag of beans from BLACK RIFLE COFFEE COMPANY It's their AK47 brand. That is company Vet owned and operated. Talk about some great coffee. You guys really need to try it. Best dammed cup of Joe you will ever have. Plus you get the added benefit of pissing off your Libtard Relatives when they ask you "where can we get some of these beans". Showing them the bag and the look they have on their faces is fucking priceless! Anyway Im on the monthly delivery but changed it from Silencer Smooth to the AK47. Ships out on the 1st. My wife and I will get in a huge fight if I try and steal her precious coffee maker I bought "US". But since she still works and I'm semi retired I do sleep in longer. Sooooooo I guess I will have to buy another coffee maker. The one up stairs is perfect. You pour the beans in the hopper on top that's seals up. Then you turn it on or set it on a timer. Either way when it turns on it grinds the beans for how ever many cups you told it too. Brews and is ready when you walk out to the kitchen. Talk about a fresh cup of coffee. So yes coffee maker is on the to get list.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man I know what you mean. Before we owned a house way out in the boonies years ago. Loved it. My garage was even smaller than the garage we have here. My Military truck could not fit in. When I would come backhoe from deployment (Gov Space and Defense work contract work) no matter time of year I would spend most of my hours working on that truck. Freezing rain, snow or the heart of Arizona Summers I was working on her. Then we moved into a great place with a YUGE shop. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Heated and Air Conditioned! Now I'm back to a small two car garage that's packed full of stuff. This is a two story house with the living section up stairs. Down stairs is two indoor work shops with plugs galore. the garage is small and has 2 110volt plugs. Obviously this was NOT designed by a gear head. The AK shop is in the small Shop or Office space. I was gonna have it in the much larger (5 time bigger or more) Shop but my daughter is moving back home and will be staying with us as she finishes up college. So she will be in that larger area instead. The heating and cooling down stairs is minimal.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Skip that granite block, you don't need anything near that size or weight. That's a measuring surface for a machine shop for doing QA measurement on parts, setting tooling etc, and it's a huge one for even that if it weighs 2 tons. Spend $100 on a 5-6 ft level and just level out your tables and you'll be fine for what you're doing. Even if you get a small table top mill and start to make small parts a little 12x12x4 block is plenty of size and rigidity for measuring anything you'd build and can be stored somewhere out of the way when it's not in use.

Since you mentioned you're renting, and really to keep the room looking nice anyway, I'd put something behind the drill press on the wall to catch the oil it's going to spin off, piece of thin lexan, sacrificial piece of sheet rock, vinyl sheet, etc. Just something to keep the wall clean. Floors should be ok as long as you clean up any spills.

Reactions: Bad Comapny

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Skip that granite block, you don't need anything near that size or weight. That's a measuring surface for a machine shop for doing QA measurement on parts, setting tooling etc, and it's a huge one for even that if it weighs 2 tons. Spend $100 on a 5-6 ft level and just level out your tables and you'll be fine for what you're doing. Even if you get a small table top mill and start to make small parts a little 12x12x4 block is plenty of size and rigidity for measuring anything you'd build and can be stored somewhere out of the way when it's not in use.

Since you mentioned you're renting, and really to keep the room looking nice anyway, I'd put something behind the drill press on the wall to catch the oil it's going to spin off, piece of thin lexan, sacrificial piece of sheet rock, vinyl sheet, etc. Just something to keep the wall clean. Floors should be ok as long as you clean up any spills.

On the drill press I figured that one out already. I have a 36" wide or wider haven't measured it roll of heavy construction paper. I will just make a simple holder for it like a paper towel roll holder and mount it up on the wall behind the drill press then just pull the paper down and hold it in place with some wall mounted Black Paper Clips that you squeeze to open. Done. Im an old Machinist for Ruger when I was in between Government Contracts. Im use to coolant and oil slinging. The lathe I use to run could not even fit in my two car garage. The CNC Machines Wouldn't even fit in my garage. They had 25 tools on a big wheel that would change when I needed it to. Of course I ran the smaller CNC machines. I sure as hell don't miss breathing all that coolant (oil) in everyday and going home smelling like I spent 12 hours in a light oil shower. Which is kinda what we really did. The massive fans would drip airborne oil that accumulated on the blades. Im sure my lungs are not better for it.

I know that Granite slab is way over kill but I can get it super cheap. I may even get it delivered and set up for free. Im just guessing at the weight. If not that then a nice welding table with a 5/8 thick top would work. I have a small welding table in the garage but its pretty old and beat up. We shall see. Thank you though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts