AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright here is my question to the forum members. I have decided to redecorate my living room and as a center peice I am going to have a shadow box with a glass lid made that is big enough to hold a AK and some acc. and mount it on the wall above my TV. My problem comes when deciding on what AK to use, I want a classic look. I have a Yugo M-70 numbers matching re-weld I have been thinking of using but I have also thought about using a saiga SGL31 folder and doing a afghan war era clone. I have no problem buying another gun for this project.

What I want to ask you all is if you were doing this what AK47/74 would you use to represent the AK family? Milled stamped? 7.62X39 or 5.45X39? AK or RPK? Russian, Bulg., Chinese, Polish, Yugo?? So many to choose from but the wife will only allow one gun mounted on the wall.

I have also thought about using several guns and rotating them through out the year?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Schultze

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
IMHO I wouldn't do it ,keep what you have under wraps.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Just asking for trouble displaying it in the open.

With that said, the problem is now your favorite one is not easily able to take to the range.

If you don't care if you lose it, then the earliest Russian 7.62 you could find is the best representation.

Maybe consider a nice photograph, or a blueprint, or poster of one....?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not to worried about someone breaking in and easily taking my gun. I live out in the country on my family farm and if myself or my homemaker wife is not home my dads house is within sight of mine and we live at a dead end rosd no one ever comes out here we dont know.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
In these times, I do not display even a mag or bayonet. That said, Russian milled or AKM would be my first choice. Your Yugo is an excellent example as well. Most likely display for my
own taste would be a shadow box that could be used for various AK's as I grew tired of looking at the same one over time. Sounds like a fun project!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I've always wanted to build a "display" AK using some of the Balkans War BFPU furniture I have. Not an actual functioning firearm, but a mock-up that the stock, handguards and grip can be added on to look real. The receiver, barrel and other bits would be necessary for an accurate replica; but that is all it would be!

Cheers! M2

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
I'd toss in an airsoft AK or mock something up out of cheap cheap cheap parts before leaving a rifle on display. People talk, and friends/kids/neighbors might say something that makes its way to the wrong person. Before you know it your rifle is gone while you are at work. Too many shady people in the world these days, but I guess I'm a pessimist. Where I grew up you left your keys in the car, doors unlocked, etc. It's not like that there anymore, and it's not like that anywhere anymore.....

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since everyone is worried about me leaving a real gun out what would everyone think about using a polish milled cut-away? I have always wanted a cut-away AK while I am not a fan of the underfolders I could buy a kit from apex and then either have it rewelded or I could but a good milled fixed stock and have the cut-aways machined out.

Reactions: TRAAK's

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think doing a cut-away as a display piece would be awesome! It would definitely be different and something you can show off without worrying about the security of a functional rifle on the wall.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Since everyone is worried about me leaving a real gun out what would everyone think about using a polish milled cut-away? I have always wanted a cut-away AK while I am not a fan of the underfolders I could buy a kit from apex and then either have it rewelded or I could but a good milled fixed stock and have the cut-aways machined out.
Great idea and likely a smart investment. If I remember correctly, the cutway Polish mag is also available from Apex....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
626 Posts
In these days few even know I have guns. I get gun stickers all the time for the car and don't display them. don't often wear gun related shirts outside of the home. call me paranoid but in todays world the glass gun case in the living room are over. That said I have always wanted A wall of guns in the basement like Burt Gummer of Tremors movie fame. So I hear You would be cool.

·
Registered
22,590 Posts
"In case of tyranny, break glass" ahhhhhh if only.

Whooooa wait a second.. Don't slice up a functional kit when there are already cutaway ones out there... (if I'm reading what you posted right)

Use something like this https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/2592

A cut-away AK would be cool and would be looked at as a really neat display piece and not 'zomg killer gunz' or worse' STEAL ME"

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
No I am not going to cut up a good kit gun I am going to use the cut-away kit from apex but if the receiver is to far gone to be rewelded then I will buy a new milled receiver and have it cut open. If I can have the original receiver rewelded I will keep the cut-away a underfolder BUT if I do have to buy a new receiver I am going to get a fixed stock and have the cut-away built on that.

Here is a pic of a complete Polish underfolder I found. I am liking it more and more.

Here is a pic of the other side notice the FCG cut outs under the folded stock.

·
Registered
22,590 Posts
I think maybe Matt (turbothis) might be able to help you out there.. but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep that is who I am thinking about asking he did my M-70 reweld.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I vote with the cut away. It's cool, it's educational, and it's still an AK. Wouldn't put a real one in there because I know I'd always be dying to shoot it. :smile:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts