AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here...picked up a couple flats recently, 1 polish underfolder and 1 regular AKM. So im really strapped for cash right now and would love to buy a kit and go that route but they are getting more and more expensive and difficult to find. The good thing is there are allot of resources out there that sell AK parts. It seems one can purchase all the parts repeatedly and cheaper than what the price the parts kit are selling these days. If you can find them.

Apparently the front and rear trunnions are the more difficult to find by themselves but there is still readily available. Am I correct is saying that once you get a hold of the truunions you can pretty much build around them, much like the AR with lower receivers. I would start with the flats, then trununions and barrel assembly than work my way from there.

You need to replace some parts with compliance parts anyways so it seems piecing a build would be the cheaper way to go.

Please chime in?

g

·
Registered
372 Posts
By the time you factor in shipping alone, you come out cheaper buying a complete kit. Think about it: A Polish uf kit is what, $350? Front trunnions alone go for $100. All the little parts add up quick. $15 selectors, $10 hammer springs, $20 top covers, etc.

I've built them piece by piece, and if you spread it out over time while searching the various WTS ads daily, it doesn't hurt as bad, but you won't come out ahead. It is easier to hide if you're married though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good point...anyone else??

My problem is I can't afford to drop 350-400 on a parts kit right now. Purchasing parts here and there for a while is more realistic right now.

By the time you factor in shipping alone, you come out cheaper buying a complete kit. Think about it: A Polish uf kit is what, $350? Front trunnions alone go for $100. All the little parts add up quick. $15 selectors, $10 hammer springs, $20 top covers, etc.

I've built them piece by piece, and if you spread it out over time while searching the various WTS ads daily, it doesn't hurt as bad, but you won't come out ahead. It is easier to hide if you're married though.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Actually the cheapest way to go is to buy a complete weapon, especially when you buy the press and all the other tools for riveting and barrel removal/installation etc.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Even with renting equipment, buying a Yugo pap rifle is going to cost less than building one. Might as well just save the money instead of buying a hodge podge of parts.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
check this guy out, he builds AKs on a budget
Fabio might want to put some oil on the inside of that receiver. I'm guessing that they might not be too happy if they found out he was building AK's in his dorm room.

Even with renting equipment, buying a Yugo pap rifle is going to cost less than building one. Might as well just save the money instead of buying a hodge podge of parts.
CENT ZASTAVA NPAP 16.25" 7.62X39 BLK SYN 30RD
You can enter coupon code five-off to make it $443 shipped. There's simply no way you can build that cheap right now.

·
Registered
798 Posts
No hate on that guy, he looks a bit funky, but he seems quite educated on the subject so I support him.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
No hate on that guy, he looks a bit funky, but he seems quite educated on the subject so I support him.
Not hating, just a little joke. He's one of us. It looks like he's living in a dorm. If you go to another AK discussion forum, you can see the town. I think the college administrators might be a little surprised if they found out the kind of projects he's working on.:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As of right now I just have my receiver flat, rails, and rivet set. I'm just waiting on my glock 17 to sell than I can buy my parts kit and barrel from Atlantic arms. Right now they got part kits for 300 and barrels for 100. Now if I can only find a BP in SoCal... Right now I got a guy who will charge me 280 for the build from start to test fire.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you're set on building yourself APEX has Romanian kits for $275, although I don't think their barrels are chromed lined ($98). APEX has always been great (and a forum vendor) to me. Shipping is a killer no matter who you use; so make sure you get everything you need in one swipe for compliance and the build (rivets, trigger, brake, pistol grip, etc) or you'll be cussing yourself for having to buy a $10 part and pay $6 in shipping.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I plan on doing a couple of builds with random parts, plus one with as many home-made or improvised parts as possible.....just for fun, not to have a particularly great rifle

·
Registered
682 Posts
Bah!, Build it piece by piece that way you get the AK you want. I wanted AKM in 7.62x39 with a Polish side folder, milled pattern barrel, Yugo front sight with flip-up tritium, AK-74 zigzag brake and `74 side rail plus a dogleg rail with a peep sight for my old ass eyes. This is what evolved.... DSCN1563.jpg DSCN1564.jpg lord of war.JPG

·
Registered
61 Posts

I’m in the same boat. I scored an Izzy barrel trunnion that just happened to be as old as me (that was a factor) and now I’m buying in stages as budget permits. I’d have loved to get an Izzy kit but they’re so damn spendy now, I know it would’ve still been cheaper but as has been said, it’s also a question of sneaking parts in under the wife’s radar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts