AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for making another thread, I tried to edit my thread from earlier but it wouldn't let me.

I've run into several other problems. I've took pictures to help explain what im dealing with.

Right now im trying to put the receiver cover back on. It was a p.i.a getting it off but I finally did it. But now i've been messing with this thing for over an hour trying to get it back on. The receiver locking button? doesn't always go all the way in, sometimes only half way and sometimes it doesnt move at all. It's only when I mess with it or turn it slightly do I get it to work. If that makes sense. Is there a certain way or trick to getting it back on or what?

2nd problem, probably the most important of all is bent/cracked shells. I shot one round through to see if it worked and didn't think to check the casing. Bad judgement on my part I know but later in the day I shot 3 more rounds through it to make sure it would cycle and all of that. On the 3rd and last round of the day it failed to eject. After some man handling I was able to get it out, and noticed that the casing was cracked. I looked around for the other casings and but only found 1 more because it was getting to dark to find the other 2 casings. I will look for those tomorrow though...but the other casing I found was bent.

Im not going to fire this rifle again until I get the headspace checked out... I also noticed this and thought it might have something to do with the problems with the casings?

I think that the way this thing was shipped might have something to do with it. Unless the guys at the gun store decided to take out all of the packaging material for me for some reason... then this thing came with no packing material at all, not even so much as newspaper. It came from JGsales in a oversized box. Maybe thats the typical fashion when they ship rifles? The inside of the box has marks all in it from where the charging handle moved around, it even broke through the outside of the box.

:confused: Anyway thanks for reading this long post, any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
611 Posts
With the button for the top cover, you shouldn't need to press it all the way. It holds the back of that recoil spring assembly. There's a notch that allows the assembly to move back and forth, you push the button in to align the notch. When you have it in the right area, you'll be able to feel the recoil spring assembly will move freely.

Bent casing necks aren't anything to panic over. This sometimes happens when they are being ejected. A strong extractor will fling the case out very hard, and it's probably hitting some part of your rifle on the way out. The cracked case necks could just be cheap ammo. But if you're not comfortable with the way it's shooting, by all means have a professional look it over for you.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
on the button, there could be some misalignment between the receiver/trunnion holes, etc causing a lip for it to catch on.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
shep said:
The cracked case necks could just be cheap ammo. But if you're not comfortable with the way it's shooting, by all means have a professional look it over for you.
I'd agree with this if he was shooting brass, but I've never seen steel case do that without it indicating some other type of problem.

Just my .02

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
With me it's just the opposite... I've seen more steel case with cracked necks, never saw brass with cracked necks. Steel is less flexible, hence the cracking (mostly only with Wolf 5.45 and my SAR-2). So long as that crack doesn't want to go beyond the shoulder it's not a problem.

So far as the button... it's hanging up is all. There's either a slight mis alignment, or I have found that sometimes when the nut on the one side isn't tightened down enough it hangs up. Try giving that nut another 1-2 turns.

..checking the head space is always a good idea.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think we found out what the problem was. I had my brother take a look at it, and he said it looked like one side of the receiver cover was a little longer than the other side. Looking at it you could clearly see that the front right corner was bigger than the rest. You could also look in where the cover fits into and see that one that side the finish had been worn off by the cover. We filed it down just a little, sat the cover in and snapped it on with out any problems.

We also took it out and ran a few more rounds through it and did not have any problems with it. I did find the 2 other casings from yesterday and they were not cracked, or bent but I did notice a tiny scratch/idention on both of the 2 rounds in the same place. Im assuming that thats probably normal?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts