AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a partial Romy G parts kit (see pic below)...

...I then got this (list below) parts bundle from another AK builder and forum member (not here, elseforum) to aid in compliance and because it seemed like a decent price to fill out the gaps in the kit and some needed 922r parts.

stock tang
safety lever
2 x FCG cross pins
disconnector spring
shepards hook
grip screw escutcheon (nut)
Tapco G2 FCG (3 parts)
Tapco pistol grip (1 part)
Tapco rivet set
Thermold US mag (3 parts)

As I'm a total AK virgin (should be buying my first one tonight - an SAR1) and haven't done a build before, I've got a couple of questions:

1) What side- or underfolder stocks are compatible with my parts without having to do any major alterations. I'd rather not use the Tapco folder (it's ugly as hell) but an Ace Skeleton/ARFX like the one I have on my AR is an option using their (pricey) folding kit.

2) Am I missing any bits, other than a receiver?

3) What receiver should I go with? Lots of folks are telling me to use an NDS3, but I read about problems with those and the FCG I've bought. Am I better to use an NDS3 and just get a new FCG or should I use a different receiver? I'm going to use a 100% receiver this time and maybe consider a flat if I do this again.

Bear in mind that I'll probably be swapping the wood furniture for something in polymer, as this is going to be less classic and more 'tacticool' than an 'issue' build. Yes, I'm going to make Little Vasily cry, just not much.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
If you use the US receiver, gas piston, and us slant brake; you wont be stuck with US Magazines.

Do not worry about the NDS3 it is fine.

stock tang=rear trunnion - once you get your rear trunnion, use the wood stock until you had a chance to get hands on with your other options. The Romy side folder stock will fit well with this setup.

As for Vasily, once you get you new baby built, start looking and asking on the Practical Subforum. These guys (and gals) has a lot of experience with different stocks and what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
NCLivingBrit said:
Would this AMD65 stock fit do you know?

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=66632

Thanks for the other info though, didn't realise there was a subforum.
Not without a fair amount of modifications. The NDS-3 is pre-drilled for for a fixed stock rear trunion. These holes will not line up with the holes needed for that AMD65 folding stock. Therefore, you'd be left with some unsightly extra holes in the receiver. Also, the receiver needs to be cut out to fit the rear trunion of the AMD65. This is not something I would recommend for a novice builder. If you have your heart set on a AMD65 folding stock, I'd recommend buying the NDS-65 receiver. If you want a side folder without have to make any modifications, I'd suggest picking up a Romanian sidefolding stock. It requires no modifications and mounts to a standard fixed stock rear trunion.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NEW NOOBISHNESS - Ace folding stocks

Question One

Ok, I have an Ace ARFX on my AR and love it. I'd love an Ace ARFX folder on my AK, but have a couple of questions (of course I do, I know bugger all right now!).

For reference, here are the parts I am talking about:

AKFX-FS - Ace folding stock: http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=351
AKRBC - Ace internal receiver block: http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=301
AKRBU - Ace universal (external) block: http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=299

I vastly prefer the look of the internal receiver block over the external one, but it says in their website that the internal block:

requires modification to the receiver; i.e.. the tang on the back of the receiver must be cut off then filed or ground smooth.
Being as the rifle in question will be a pile of pieces, is it going to be significantly easier to do this before the build that it would be after everything is in place and riveted? As this just seems to be removing the unwanted 'tongue' it doesn't seem too daunting, but info from anyone who has actually done it would be nice!

Question Two

Where's a source of good quality black polymer handguards that aren't Tapco? I'm going to be using their SAW grip for comfort, but I'd really like a 'plain' standard-style handguard in black for this build. I'd rather not have to buy a whole set to get the handguard however :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts