AK Rifles banner

Ak master mount - rear bias vs. full

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  brianak 
#1 ·
I'd like to get a MM for my inbound Micro Prism - because there is the ability to direct mount the optic to the rail - nice option. I'd also like to go light and save some weight - but the lighter option is 'rear biased' which I don't like for two reasons - I'd rather have it forward to get a better situational awareness when using, and MAYBE take the top cover off while mounted. Why don't they make a fwd biased optic also - I don't get it. (I don't care about a top cover sight which is usually a piece of junk anyway).

#4 ·
This is the problem of modernization with the AK platform. Rear bias is better for prism due to eye relief. I have an ACOG and have the master mount rear biased version, it works perfectly. But the trade off is, in order to removed the top cover, the mount has to be removed. Same issue would exist with the full railed version.

I think that the RS regulate mount is nice, but overpriced

Depending on the gun, most American rails for AK rifles sit low, and would require removal of the mount to remove the top cover. I recommend the Master Mount, simply because I have one, and it works very well. It currently lives on my SA-M7, which I installed a 23 inch RPK barrel on. Gun with optics on hold 1 moa with m67 surplus ammo.

On the note of removal of the mount to remove top cover, you will likely lose perfect zero, but will still hit targets well. Besides, unless you are shooting corrosive ammo, a bore cleaning rope or cable would do fine, and the main lube points are accessible without the cover removed.

Maybe a modified safety lever would help your concern. Thats all i got

#5 ·
I am looking at the same setup with the new Primary Arms 3x SLX. (Damn presbyopia) Like aklover1505 said, the eye relief on the prism scopes requires the scope to be pretty far back.

Look at pics of people's guns. They are all at the very rear of Ar15 pic rails. I think the PA one even comes with a cantilevered mount so you can mount it behind the upper if you don't shoot nose to CH on the AR.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I did order the MM today. I do like that I can mount it directly to the MM or use a base. I also like that the MM is only 5 oz, and is substantially less money than the RSR.

While I can use the 1X Prism up front on an ultimak, I suppose the 3X mounted in the rear is appropriate as stated here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.