AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
You clean your AKs?

Well I'll be damned.

I use a boresnake and clean from the chamber to the muzzle, not that I'm overly concerned mind you.

· Registered
1,337 Posts
I always use a boresnake then clean the gas system and then blow out the receiver with a air hose .

· Banned
4,281 Posts
Timradcliffe345 said:
Is the AK bore meant to be cleaned from the muzzle end first?

yes, if you are going to use the cleaning rod that is on the rifle. the cleaning rod is short, so you can only clean it from the muzzle end if you are going to use that cleaning rod, which I don't know of anybody that does. you can clean it from the chamber end with a longer rod, it really doesn't matter which end of the barrel you clean it.

what works well as a muzzle guide?

use the cap off the cleaning kit, that is what it was designed for. by the way, the body of the cleaning kit is also the handle for the cleaning rod. you slide the cap over the cleaning rod, then attach the brush to it,insert the rod in the barrel, slide the cap over the muzzle.

· Registered
1,871 Posts
Caligula said:
Timradcliffe345 said:
Is the AK bore meant to be cleaned from the muzzle end first?

yes, if you are going to use the cleaning rod that is on the rifle. the cleaning rod is short, so you can only clean it from the muzzle end if you are going to use that cleaning rod, which I don't know of anybody that does. you can clean it from the chamber end with a longer rod, it really doesn't matter which end of the barrel you clean it.

what works well as a muzzle guide?
thats if the cap of your cleaning kit has the hole in the top, quite a few of mine dont have holes in the top. i use the cleaning rod and cleaning kit to clean my ak's all the time, except for cleaning the gas port the factory kit works great use the cap off the cleaning kit, that is what it was designed for. by the way, the body of the cleaning kit is also the handle for the cleaning rod. you slide the cap over the cleaning rod, then attach the brush to it,insert the rod in the barrel, slide the cap over the muzzle.

Fixed it for you - Slinger646

· Registered
6,477 Posts
If you don't shoot corrosive ammo cleaning is optional. Maybe clean it once in a while when you get bored and thats it. I have seen more AK barrels damaged from excessive cleaning than from shooting non corrosive ammo.

However if you shoot ANY corrosive ammo cleaning ASAP is a MUST.

· Registered
2,123 Posts
People usually damage their bores because they try to clean too damn fast. Pop open a beverage of your choice and put a movie on to watch and take your time. I don't use a brush every time but I will definitely run a patch or two through with CLP.

Bore snakes don't really clean well enough for me. I use my fingers as a guide so the cleaning rod won't hit the muzzle and also make sure you don't use too large of a patch because a cleaning rod can and will flex and scrape the side of the bore if you're forcing too big of a patch down. If you have to force anything you're doing something wrong.

For AKs I clean muzzle end with a cleaning rod(not the one from the AK), shotgun bore brush(non-metallic) for gas tube followed by large patch, light oil on the bolt, rails, and bottom of the bolt carrier. No oil on the piston. Only other thing I pay particular attention to is making sure the firing pin hole and extractor aren't gunked up with primer sealant.

· Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
a shoestring dipped in oil with a small piece of cloth attached to the end works fine.

· Super Moderator
26,820 Posts
I clean any firearm after a range session regardless of how many rounds I shoot. As was already stated, over cleaning can actually cause damage, but its always a good idea to clean when you get home for a few reasons:

Its a good habit to get into, weapon maintenance and inspection is just as important as proper firing stances and trigger control. I always budget my time to have an hour or two after I get home.

You can inspect the rifle in greater detail and spot possible problems like cracks, burring, excessive wear on parts, rivet problems ect.

You don"t need to get fancy with an AK, just clean the barrel of fouling, scrub the gas system down...gas tube, piston, make sure the gas hole in the barrel is clear, and clean the rails, bolt carrier and bolt. Leave the gas system dry as oil WILL attract more carbon fouling. I lube with oil and lubriplate, works well for me.

Its generally better to clean from the chamber for any rifle, to include the AK, because cleaning from the muzzle can damage the barrel crown. I"ve been using a .22 cal Boresnake on my 5.45, and .30 cal one for my 7.62x39 rifles with no issues.

· Registered
1,809 Posts
I wouldn't clean any gun from the muzzle end, including an AK, but if you have to then use the top of the cleaning kit as a guide.

A store-bought rod is long enough to clean from the breech end, and just barely clears the receiver--but you'll have to press down around the breech or use a guide so it doesn't nick the top of the chamber.

I could never get the bore clean enough with bore snakes. The knotted-shoelace method is actually pretty field expedient and works well if you attach some scraps of cloth.

· Registered
1,871 Posts
Richard W. said:
stackscustominc said:
... thats if the cap of your cleaning kit has the hole in the top, quite a few of mine dont have holes in the top. ...
Do you know what nationality your cleaning kits are?

Off the top of my head, I thought all of them have the muzzle guide hole in the cap.
no clue, i have a mixture of so many i cant tell whats what

· Registered
1,318 Posts
boresnake or some sort of shoelace or whatever works great. i just clean the barrel, bolt carrier assy and gas system, and leave any oil and stuff in the corners of the reciever to fight rust. i never use the normal rod and cleaning kit, i just leave them on the rifle IF i'm ever just toting that around for a few weeks, oh and overcleaning's a biggie, if you're going to to shoot for the next week, just clean off crud, oil the weapon and keep going untill u KNOW you have time to make it spotless and are putting it away for a while.

· Registered
7,131 Posts
Another vote for boresnake.

Get an AP brush for the receiver internals and you are GTG.

To clean the gas tube, a 12ga bore brush on a pistol rod is the bees knees, but remember, NO OIL IN TEH TUBEZ!!11

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.