AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm fairly new to the AK platform and in reading around I've noticed that many discussions indicate that the best magazines for an AK are the Bulgarian Waffle mags, so-called "circle 10" but I notice they are also quite expensive.

Can you help me understand why they are said to be "the best" and what advantages they offer over the steel mags.

I picked up a number of used steel mags, and brand new Zastava steel mags and am now second-guessing my decision to go with steel mags.

Thanks for any information you can share.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
The Bulgarian are lighter than original steel magazines. You cannot go wrong with the original steel mags you bought and snagging a few Bulgarian circle 10 mags up is never a bad choice...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
The steel mags are fine, they have been a proven design since the invention of the rifle over 50 years ago.
The Bulgarian circle 10s are nice because a solid polymer that are steel reinforced in all the critical areas. I have yet to hear of anyone really having issues with them, but I am sure someone somewhere has. They are more expensive since they are far less common then surplus steel mags for all the various countries that make them. The only steel mags to shy away from are the commercial made Korean mags.
The steel mags have some advantages over the polymer mags and the polymer have some over the steel. Cant go wrong with either one. If you want some Bulgarian circle 10s you might be best served to wait until a deal pops up and you can get some for under $30. It happens if you are on the look out.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Couldn't agree more with what has already been said. I personally like steel mags and don't buy the poly ak47 mags. I just don't see the advantage of a $30 poly mag over a $10 steel surplus mag.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wait for the Magpul it'll give Circle 10 a run for their money and then the prices for Circle 10s will likely to drop.

·
Banned
950 Posts
If you ever run your AK's in cold weather, the plastic mags are nice.

·
Registered
710 Posts
All of my magazines are Eastern European, and they do just fine. They're damn near indestructible too.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I don't know about them being the best...

Grab any European, Egyptian, North Korean or Chinese steel or bakelite military issued magazine and it'll serve you well. Avoid most everything US made as well as the "recent" South Korean magazines

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
I got a couple of those Korean mags. Bought them when they first came out and figured I'd try them. Now I have a rule of buying nothing but euro surplus mags.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Chinese mags are just as good as are North Korean and Egyptian. Chances are most have seen, handled or own them and don't know they're not na European made mag

·
Registered
900 Posts
What's the deal with the new Korean mags? I seen them but never bought any. Do they have serious quality issues? If so, what are they?

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
What's the deal with the new Korean mags? I seen them but never bought any. Do they have serious quality issues? If so, what are they?
I bought 4 of them when they first hit the market. They are typical knock off quality of what you would expect from korea. The whole mag is built out of thinner material. So much in fact that they wobble in my magwells empty but when loaded they swell to where their tight and don't wobble. The Feedlips are thin also and don't seem to have as much reinforcement.

All in all their ok. The ones I have all work and I haven't had any problems. Will I buy them again? No. Not with surplus steel mags being so cheap.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
They even faked the spot welds on the ribs on the South Korean mags

·
Registered
862 Posts
Do yourself a favor and pick up a few Hungarian 20 rnd mags. They are much more enjoyable to shoot off a bench.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Do yourself a favor and pick up a few Hungarian 20 rnd mags. They are much more enjoyable to shoot off a bench.
Ive been wanting to pick up a couple 20rd tanker mags for awhile now. Problem is its hard for me to justify spending the same amount of money for 1 tanker when I could have 3 30 rounders.

Ive got a couple tapco mags I'll have to cut down into 20 rounders.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts