1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
A good start, but nowhere near comprehensive or even entirely correct. I suggest we work on an updated version.

This topic would also be a good place to post closeups of various mags along with information on how to identify and differentiate them.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm more than willing to post closeups of my mags and mag pouches. Just let me know what we need.

-GreatWarAZ

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Not to bitch Krinkfreak but is it me or is the chart wrong on two mags.

Under the 5.45 mag section see the Russian 30rd bakelite mag that is actually a 7.62x39 mas as is the black mag on the other side of the row.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Mr. Snake,

I think/I know you are correct. That is a profile of a 7.62 mag.

Well boys, Sounds like you guys just volunteered to help post closeups of the mags. :twisted:

I'll tack the the thread as soon as it get started. Lets size the pics down to 500 x 400(second number will automatically be calculated.)

I'll host all photos for you guys - saves on your bandwidth. Send me an email at [email protected]

Sound good? Lets get some drums too.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
TravisAasen said:
Mr. Snake,

I think/I know you are correct. That is a profile of a 7.62 mag.

Well boys, Sounds like you guys just volunteered to help post closeups of the mags. :twisted:

I'll tack the the thread as soon as it get started. Lets size the pics down to 500 x 400(second number will automatically be calculated.)

I'll host all photos for you guys - saves on your bandwidth. Send me an email at [email protected]

Sound good? Lets get some drums too.
I've got some 30 rd bakelite mags and some black bulgy mags too (as I'm sure everybody does). I'll take some pics and photoshop the old picture asap.

Jake.

·
Registered
132 Posts

The original author sent these to me for the AK mag page I am working on so I will be glad to share.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Nice info guys well done, will see if i can do as good on the bayonets!

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
shooter521 said:
I have started a separate thread on what's incorrect and missing on the original chart. Please keep replies there on topic so the info doesn't get lost in the clutter.

Thanks!
Not to worry Shooter. We'll get it over there :wink:

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Here is a couple not shown..

TANTAL 5.45 Metal...............Straighter than other metal ones.

RUSSIAN Side-Stamped..................7.62

RUSSIAN 40rd MOLOT...............7.62

BULGARIAN 45rd BAKELITE............5.45

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Here are most of the AK74 Mag colors.

From left to right:

E.G. Bakelite, Bulg. Brown, Bulg. Saddle Tan, Bulg. Fire Brick Red, Russian Plum, Bulg. Black, Polish WZ88 Steel.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Okay I have the one of the far right but! It has another piece of metal on the upper sides. It won't fit my AK-74. I can't post a picture for I have no camera. :neutral:

·
Registered
878 Posts
I was digging thru my mags tonight and found one of the Izzy side stamped mags I found. I also found a bunch of other mags that dont have any ID markes on them. So I have a few questions....

How do you identify the following countries, N Korean, Egyptian (I am pretty sure they were Egyptian, they came from crates of Maddi AK's. I also got an alloy waffle mag like the alunimum Russian waffles from that case), Bulgarian, Romanian, and The chinese knockoffs of the European mags?

Also, I have a couple of different Chinese drums, some have the star and 36 on them, others that are a darker finish dont have any stamps, just the little gold "made in China" tag.

On the Warsaw drums, I have some with the Molot shield, but how do you tell the other E German and Romanian drums from the rest?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
PvtPyle said:
I was digging thru my mags tonight and found one of the Izzy side stamped mags I found. I also found a bunch of other mags that dont have any ID markes on them. So I have a few questions....

How do you identify the following countries, N Korean, Egyptian (I am pretty sure they were Egyptian, they came from crates of Maddi AK's. I also got an alloy waffle mag like the alunimum Russian waffles from that case), Bulgarian, Romanian, and The chinese knockoffs of the European mags?

Also, I have a couple of different Chinese drums, some have the star and 36 on them, others that are a darker finish dont have any stamps, just the little gold "made in China" tag.

On the Warsaw drums, I have some with the Molot shield, but how do you tell the other E German and Romanian drums from the rest?

Thanks guys.
N.Korean mags have a star in circle marking on them.

Bulgarian mags will have a ((10)) on them.

E.Germans never made drums.. They used Russian.. Even NIW drums in full E.German military labels will turn out to be Russian.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
PvtPyle said:

Thanks guys.
Post some pics of the ones you can't identify. We can play 'name that mag' :lol:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Well i have about 15 ak mags that i took apart and put in the dishwasher and i have some followers that i have no idea which mags they go in all the mags look the same lol. If ya'll can help guess i can take a pick and see if we cant match them back up :hail: ...

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Awesome find, Jeremy 2171. That was the one magazine that continued to elude me my two times in Iraq. I did bring home two Russian 40rd bakelite 7.62mm magazines but could never find the one you have no matter how much I tried. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts