AK Rifles banner

AK MAGAZINE ID CHART - LIST OF ERRORS AND WHAT'S MISSING

10K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  Dr Zero 
#1 ·
Here's the original chart from the thread tacked above:

In the interest of updating, correcting and making the chart comprehensive, please reply here with errors or omissions that you've noticed. Please keep your replies on-topic so those doing the updates can find the pertinent information easily.

To begin:

ERRORS
* Hungarian steel 20rd and German steel 30rd are listed under "Finland"
* "German steel 30rd" should read EAST German
* No nationality listed for any of the 5.45 mags except "Russian bakelite" and "Polish steel 30rd" (the colored ones are Bulgarian, are they not?)
* Russian bakelite and Black mags shown under 5.45 are actually 7.62 mags
* "German steel" and "German clear plastic" 5.56 NATO should both be labeled EAST German
* Is the clear plastic 5.56 mag ref'd above really East German?

OMISSIONS
* Yugo M70 bolt-hold-open type
* Romanian steel 30rd
* Polish steel 30rd
* Polish poly slabside 30rd

* Molot plum ribbed 45rd
* Bulgarian Brown (as opposed to Saddle Brown/Tan) 30rd
* Polish black poly 30rd
* Romanian steel 30rd
* Bakelite 20rd (I've seen a pic of the real thing from the Tokoi book, but can provide pics of my repros if you like)

* Polish black poly 30rd
* Polish clear poly 30rd

That's all I've got off the top of my head. I also suggest we limit the chart entries to production mags that you might actually see in the real world. Stuff like the 100-rd "U" magazine and the AK-74 carousel drum and 60rd quad-stack, as well as home-brewed mega-cap mags, need not apply.

HTH!

See less See more
#8 ·
Is there any interest in making a new chart? If so, I can handle it, if people will send me pics of the mags individually on a contrasting, plain background (ie: dark mags on a light background like a tile floor or something...). I can pull the mags off the background and put them all on a single image like the one above... higher the rez the better... Of course the files will need to be clearly and correctly named so I know what is what... Anyone care to help out by taking pics and sending them my way? Of course we'll want to set up some kind of standard for which way the mags face, the angle of the pic, etc...

#9 ·
CaptainSKA said:
Is there any interest in making a new chart? If so, I can handle it, if people will send me pics of the mags individually on a contrasting, plain background (ie: dark mags on a light background like a tile floor or something...). I can pull the mags off the background and put them all on a single image like the one above... higher the rez the better... Of course the files will need to be clearly and correctly named so I know what is what... Anyone care to help out by taking pics and sending them my way? Of course we'll want to set up some kind of standard for which way the mags face, the angle of the pic, etc...
Absolutley, shoot me an email and we'll start to get something going. TLZKAASEN@earthlink.net

#11 ·
shooter521 said:
CaptainSKA and/or Travis, as this initiative develops, let us know what mags you still need images of, and what size/resolution the images we submit need to be.

Thanks for taking the reins on this!
Thanks! We're working out the 'kinks' right now.

Mag's I know I don't have at the moment

Brown/plum - Waffle (see above :evil: )
Russian 7.62 40 round (see above :evil: )
all .223 AK mags.

We'll post the specs for shooting pics tomorrow or the next day. Captian has suggested some changes on my end - new photo shoot tomorrow :mrgreen:

#12 ·
The drum listed as Russian looks exactly like a Romanian made one, should be a Romanian section that shows the Romanian drum and the differences between the Rommy and Russian ones.

#20 ·
eodinert said:
I only have the Chinese one, now. Sombody offered me $500 cash for the two mags (and I didn't take it), then somebody else offered me a Junker Airgun with a folding stock for them. I caved.

Anybody need some Chinese AKM mags?
Please don't tell me it was one of those chinese folding airguns that look like AKs...

#21 ·
JaketheSnake said:
eodinert said:
I only have the Chinese one, now. Sombody offered me $500 cash for the two mags (and I didn't take it), then somebody else offered me a Junker Airgun with a folding stock for them. I caved.

Anybody need some Chinese AKM mags?
Please don't tell me it was one of those chinese folding airguns that look like AKs...
Yunker (Junker) is a Russian airgun built on a real AK receiver. Worth some $$$ after being banned from import.

#24 ·
Well, I don't know about the God status, but I do what I can.

If you could, try to take your pictures like the ones Travis posted here:

http://www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4592

Also, email the pics full rez from the camera, and name them clearly so I know what country, what caliber, and what type (just like you posted your list: Russian 5.56 45 Rnd would be plenty)

Thanks!

Kevin

#26 ·
I've got a pile of pics, some Chinese, some Russian, some Bulgarian and a few others, but I haven't received anything from Travis in a while... Once we start getting a complete country's mags together I'll start designing the document (I fear its going to be a poster it's going to be one mammoth poster...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.