AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,907 Posts
I didn't notice it was the OP's vid so I was brief. The disassembly was very fast, as was the handling of the gas tube. I like the one handed manipulation of the carrier and bolt. I doubt the reassembly was your fastest ever, but it was cool to see the methods. Thanks for posting.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nexus/mk.7 said:
That's cool if the exact method is taken from Soviet training, although the speed wasn't amazing.
Agree. New gun less than 3k rounds. But still less than "Passed" grade @45 sec for reassembly.

rayman1 said:
Cool. Does the SOP include removal of the muzzle brake and lower handguard as the manual illustrates for field stripping?
Never. I guess because there is nothing under LHG or inside the FH that can brake or clog. The FH was way to tight to remove by hand. I was surprized to see the vid on youtube where russian soldier has these two items off. He made a mistake in the end that in my day would cause non-pass: mag goes in last - AFTER the bolt function check and safety ON to prevent, you know, shooting your buddies head off...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlsFwuA3-JY

· Banned
4,029 Posts
in your video you start out with the gas tube lever already in the "up" position. How did you do that? what tools?

As far as I remember (been like..20 years or so) for the actual field stripping one uses the bolt carrier to remove the lever. All my AKs have a really tough lever that cannot be rotated by fingers alone.
You use the bolt carrier as a pivot and torque the lever up.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
voron said:
in your video you start out with the gas tube lever already in the "up" position. How did you do that? what tools?

As far as I remember (been like..20 years or so) for the actual field stripping one uses the bolt carrier to remove the lever. All my AKs have a really tough lever that cannot be rotated by fingers alone.
my experience with russians in the factories is that they use the bolt carrier as a hammer on the lever. I was stunner the first time I saw it. But a few thousand times later, it is now just a, well that is the way they do it.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Voron,
You missed my real "cheat": my cleaning rod is not all the way passed the FH. Otherwise i'd need a bullet noze to pull it out (on a '74). That's how we always ran "zachet" or test for score . :twisted:

The GT leaver is loose on my gun and you can make them loose on yours too, they serve little to none practical purpose.

· Banned
4,029 Posts
Leper said:
voron said:

my experience with russians in the factories is that they use the bolt carrier as a hammer on the lever. I was stunner the first time I saw it. But a few thousand times later, it is now just a, well that is the way they do it.
not quite. We do not "hammer" the lever. You use the front end of the bolt carrier as the pivot point and apply pressure upwards. sorta like a torque.

· Registered
469 Posts
The guy didn't remove the muzzle brake!
Any time I strip my AK74 down I remove the muzzle brake for cleaning.
If you don't remove and clean the brake every time it will freeze up and wont come off when you want it to.
Especially if you shoot corrosive ammo.
Don’t forget to remove and clean those muzzle brakes before it is to late. :wink:

· Registered
1,907 Posts
You cheated?! :eek: I read somewhere else that the cleaning kit has slits for the purpose of putting leverage on the gas tube retainer lever. My Saigas came tight as all hell from the factory, but at this point I can easily turn the lever on just about all of my AKs because like serzant says, I don't think they need to be tight, and they loosen up with use.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AK-Karl said:
The guy didn't remove the muzzle brake!
Jerry is "the guy's" name.
He is an ugly Russian father-mugger, but mostly friendly, especially to the other vets. If you buy him a drink he might even tellyou what is the difference between Fieldstrip TIMED DRILL and cleaning a rifle....
:beer:

· Registered
3,540 Posts
voron said:
Leper said:
voron said:

not quite. We do not "hammer" the lever. You use the front end of the bolt carrier as the pivot point and apply pressure upwards. sorta like a torque.
I like to use the slit in the bottom of the recoil spring assembly to rotate the .

And you have to reassemble in 45 seconds to pass? That seems really easy. Does everyone pass? I can do it faster than that with my eyes closed

· Registered
952 Posts
jonpo said:
StuG_1944 said:
[quote="nexus/mk.7":10w8who8]The punch for disassembling the bolt?

The one at the very top, laying horizontal.

I wondered that for a while too. I was told it's a slave pin to reassemble the FCG[/quote:10w8who8]

yep....works perfect for my Texas FCG...or you can cut down a trigger pin

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.