AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 1982 AK and whenever i fire it the dust cover pops off, it feels secure before i shoot it too. I know for a fact the recoil spring needs to be replaced because the shells eject as fast as the bullet does it seems like. I was wondering if a weak spring could be causing the issue, thanks!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Bought a 1982 AK and whenever i fire it the dust cover pops off, it feels secure before i shoot it too. I know for a fact the recoil spring needs to be replaced because the shells eject as fast as the bullet does it seems like. I was wondering if a weak spring could be causing the issue, thanks!
Well...................apparently there's a weak link here. A weak spring however I would doubt. Maybe things just don't fit right?
What's a "1982 AK" BTW? That a vintage put together or surplus rifle? Any pics?
Are the bullets ejecting normally?
Have you done a search?

Welcome to the forum BTW.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any signs of anything wrong with the rear trunnion?

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
I had that issue some years ago on a Bulgarian AK74. The ass wipe that I traded with I found out was always modifying his weapons. He was a real piece of work. Anyway the dust cover that makes contact with the front trunnion had been filed away. So when the rifle action came to the rear then off came the dust cover. Second time the receiver and the front trunnion were of by 1/8 of an inch. All kinds of odd crap were occurring. IE have it inspected by a gunsmith who doesn't look down on AKs. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You might try taking the dust cover off and working the action to see what is happening. Check the rails also. BTW, welcome to the group.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
It does look like a forced fit on the top cover.
What's up with those button head cap screws too? Are there nuts on the other side?

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
It almost sounds and looks like the front of the cover is not setting in the slot securely. When you assemble it, are you setting the cover on the top, and trying to smash it in place?

Reactions: trevorakm

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Your problem seems to be your cover looks too short...from a crappy build. If you can get someone to weld the end of the cover and then shape it so it stays in the RSB then that would be your fix.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Looks like the RSB wasn't pressed far enough on to me.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
I'm thinking the receiver. There has always been a "gap" issue with those receivers for quite sometime. The receiver was OK back in the day when hardly anything else was avalible. Nowadays, they are considered junk by today's standards. Doesn't mean the the rifle won't run, it just needs a little love to run.

Dallas99, your recoil spring is ok as the ak rifle itself is overgassed. How does the inside of the rear trunnion look? Any egging of the trigger/hammer pins? How does the rear screws look going into the rear trunnion?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Looks like the RSB wasn't pressed far enough on to me.
This would be your problem. Now that it's already in place and pinned though, you're kind of stuck. Either pressing it further and going with a bigger pin or doing what 22many said. Maybe try and find a longer dust cover.

I wouldn't be shooting someone else's screw build, personally. Have you had the headspace checked? It's always a risk trusting some random person's home build. IMO, you should take it apart and sell it as a kit and buy a WASR or something else or send it to a good builder and have it fixed up properly. Screw builds tend to crack the receivers over time. The screws are too hard.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Problem with moving the RSB back is that then you would have to contend with a loose gas tube and handguards that don't line up. Im guessing that's why the rifle was build like that so the handguards line up and everything looks correct. But your correct Visceral, he's kinda stuck.

Funny how somebody can take one of the most simplest rifles ever made and fuk it up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm thinking the receiver. There has always been a "gap" issue with those receivers for quite sometime. The receiver was OK back in the day when hardly anything else was avalible. Nowadays, they are considered junk by today's standards. Doesn't mean the the rifle won't run, it just needs a little love to run.

Dallas99, your recoil spring is ok as the ak rifle itself is overgassed. How does the inside of the rear trunnion look? Any egging of the trigger/hammer pins? How does the rear screws look going into the rear trunnion?
The screws going into the rear trunnion on the side are slightly not as far in as the other ones but not too bad, all of the internals look fine its just that the dust cover is slightly too short, so i guess all i can do now is try to get it welded slightly longer or just try to sell the dam thing.....:(

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Bend the bottom back part of the dust cover out it will make the front of the cover fit in the rear sight block farther.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Bend the bottom back part of the dust cover out it will make the front of the cover fit in the rear sight block farther.
But look at the pic in post #7. I think the front needs to be fixed first. That or get another top cover and go from there.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
The front is fine, its a screw build the barrel was never removed. The rear trunnion was probably installed a little too far back.

Reactions: Stuxnet

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Ive shot about 300 rounds through it no issues other than the cover, so after that is it still considered dangerous to shoot? This thing is becoming a pain in my ass :(
How much is it worth in parts?
I wouldn't say it's inherently dangerous, but you have an unknown builder using unknown methods to assemble this thing. Although, it was pointed out this looks like an original barrel, so headspace is probably fine if so.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
The screws going into the rear trunnion on the side are slightly not as far in as the other ones but not too bad, all of the internals look fine its just that the dust cover is slightly too short, so i guess all i can do now is try to get it welded slightly longer or just try to sell the dam thing.....:(
If the recoil spring is weak there would usualy be signs of the rear trunnion having some extreme marks on it from the carrier hitting it. Also, there would be other issues like short cycling, FTE, ect, ect with a weak spring but it seems your fine.

You don't have to sell the rifle. If it runs then fix the dust cover and shoot it. Just because it's built with some now outdated methods doesn't mean it's junk. If you stick around for awhile and learn how to build then that rifle would be a perfect candidate for your first build.

·
Registered
890 Posts
This was going to be my suggestion also. I've encountered AK's where the back of the dust cover is bent in at the bottom resulting in a loose fit, and carefully bending it back a little solves the problem.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
The front is fine, its a screw build the barrel was never removed. The rear trunnion was probably installed a little too far back.
So.........................there's nothing wrong with this pic?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts