AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, im new to the forum and new to ak building, ive built an ar15 and have been wanting to build an ak but i have no clue where to start. So i was hoping some of the wise ak builders on the site wouldnt mind sharing their knowledge on what kind of kit would be best for a first timer, and what place has the best price on a kit, and tools needed as well as which reciever i should get. Ive been leaning towards a yugoslavian kit, every review i have read about yugoslavian ak's have been good, and i thought about doing a romanian kit but the romanian ak reviews ive read have all been bad. So any advice that you guys wouldnt mind sharing would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance - josh

·
Registered
556 Posts
Your in luck.

First of all, this site is the best resource for AK tech on the net. Reading through all the stickys and assorted posts will answer most of your questions. I would recomend STARTING with a Romy kit, purchased through and individual, and build on a NDS receiver with AKbuilder rivets. Ther is nothing mechanically wrong with a Romy. You can find most of this stuff in our classifieds, or NDSs web site. Step up to a Yugo, Polish, or other kit after learning on the Romanian.

Second, there are many experianced builders in the DFW area, and there has been talk of having a local build party. Keep monitoring this forum for updates. I know of one that was being planned in the FW area, and I have considered having one in McKinney.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply cassini, im actually in Plano my self so we are fairly close to each other. Ill do some searching around to see what i can find about the build. As far as reciever i would need to buy a complete one since i dont have a sheet metal brake to bend some of the flat ones i have seen, is there a place in the metromess that sells ready-to-assemble ak recievers? And will i need a rivet gun to drive the rivets into the reciever?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I know Elk River sells receivers at the DMH gunshow, other than that you will have to order one and have it shipped to an FFL. I always build off of flats/ blanks, but I have experiance helping with NDS builds. They sell a quality product at a good price, IMO.

A rivet gun is not what you need. Most people recomend using a rivet jig, but I have had good luck making my own rivet tools.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Cassini said:
I always build off of flats/ blanks, but I have experiance helping with NDS builds. They sell a quality product at a good price, IMO.

A rivet gun is not what you need. Most people recomend using a rivet jig, but I have had good luck making my own rivet tools.
How do you heat treat or harden the flat once its bent?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have an oxy/ acetylene torch I use to harden, and an oven to anneal.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Buy a Romy "G" kit, use an NDS receiver, and beg, borrow, steal, or attend a build party to get access to "ak-builder.com" jigs and tools. Or, if you have fabrication skills, build your own tools. Cost to build one is not economic over buying a nice rifle (if you purchase 100s of $ of tools), but if you are going to build 3-4 I think it starts to become a good deal. All the info you need is on this site, and lots of helpful folks if you get stuck in a build. Smart and skilled guys can do builds for a lot less, for for the average mope I think the G kits, NDS receiver, and proven tools is the fastest and easiest way to AK joy.

·
Registered
462 Posts
How do you heat treat or harden the flat once its bent?
I think most builders spot harden there bent flats arround the FCG holes & ejector rail.
That is all I harden & I have AKs with 1000s of rounds through them without a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts