AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been accumulating parts for this build for years. I managed to find most of the "correct" parts for a relatively early AK-74M - front sight base, trigger guard, selector lever, rear sight leaf, black mag, close-enough bayonet, etc. I decided on a '93 build because according to Ekie's guide that was about the last year any were made w/o the "third rivet" and just after the introduction of the beefed up rear trunnion in '92.

Mario at Piece of History Firearms in Tucson did the engraving and assembled the rifle.

It uses an NDS side folder receiver, supplemented with Bulgarian and USA parts. A few of the obvious deficiencies are the lack of a second "trigger bump" and lack of a solid back trigger. I have to give up on the trigger bump and I'm still looking for the trigger. It always seems that I have to make a few compromises and it got to the point on this project that I felt I had done just about as well as was practical, so here it is:

The FSB already had the punch marks in it, so I asked Mario to copy them on the gas block and grind down the pins flush to complete the illusion. He also had to rebuild the bayonet lug on the FSB. I think he did a great job.

More detailed photos of the elusive front sight base:

Here's one that shows the excellent AK-USA chrome lined muzzle brake.

Correct AK-74M Rear Sight Leaf

Correct AK-74M mag release lever and trigger guard:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sooper Nice!
Mario does some excellent work. How much was the AKUSA
smooth collar type brake?

My fifth '74 is definetly going to be an AK-74M build.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Did Mario do the selector markings? They look punched, not engraved, Ive got a rifle that needs selector marking like that.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Very nice...Looks so great..

It's really nice to see members collect those authentic parts to make a more accurate clone. That was time well spent on hunting down those parts. Makes the rifle really come together.

If you never told me Mario had to rebuild the bayonet lug...I would have never known..Mario does the best work..IMO..

This ones to be proud of..

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's great to share it with folks that appreciate the time and effort (and money! :smile: ) it took put it together.

I'll try to answer everyone's questions.

1276W - The press punchmarks are not functional, the parts a pinned and then the ends were ground flush.

lu2515 - I don't think the muzzle brake is listed on the AK-USA website. I had to call Chris at AK-USA to order it. He also has superb copies of the AK-102, 104, & 105 muzzle boosters that are timed to the Bulgarian gas block/front sight base that K-VAR/Arsenal sells. I bought an AK-105 muzzle booster from him and have an AK-104 booster on the way. I also bought a Romanian pattern muzzle brake that is great. I can't remember the prices on these, but I think they were all ~$100 to $120. They are beautiful copies with durable black coating and really nice chrome lining. That chrome lining is really nice when shooting the corrosive ammo. They're US made so it also helps with your parts count. Reaching Chris can be difficult, but if I left a message on the answering machine he always called me back eventually. His number is 239-334-4231.

IronBalaclava - The muzzle brake was about $100-$120, I don't remember the exact price though.

wingnut308 - The selector markings are engraved and Mario did the engraving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts