AK Rifles banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Found contracted third party company to be Morrissey Inc. Inquiring with them...

Hello all. Just a quick introduction. I'm a big history nerd. I do American Civil War reenacting, which got me into guns. I have several muskets and WWI/WWII era rifles and pistols. Now I've ventured into a more modern realm, and I need some help.

I want an AK-74 because I don't really want to get into the mod culture of ARs. So I did some research and I'm thinking I want to get a James River Arsenal AK-74 from Classic Firearms. It certainly seems like the bast bang for the buck.

Now, here's the thing. These AK's have WaffenWerks receiver stamps with a JRA substamp (see pic). Now, I'm a little disconcerted by this, because, besides being a stupid name (I speak a little German), I seem to remember from my research that WW guns are the ones that have a tendency to blow up. I may be wrong on this; one reason I came here. Now Classic's page claims (see link) that the receivers on these rifles were made by a reputable manufacturer whom for some reason they had stamp with WW stamps, which frankly I find hard to believe. Then they sent the parts to James River to be reworked and built.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/ak74-rifle-545-39-bulgarian-us-jra

So, do you think these weapons should be good to go? How would I be able to confirm that the receivers are in fact from this third party, rather than from some old batch of faulty WW receivers?
Are they priced fairly? What are the differences and pros and cons of a black-nitrided barrel vs a chrome barrel?
Think it's a good buy? Any other good 74s I should look at? Anyone already have one and can review?

Thanks for your help,
StonewallSharpeson

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
If I remember correctly the old WW 74's from when they were still considered good were nodak spud recievers, I have one built on their own WW reciever. If I were back home I'd give mine a good look over and see if I can come up with anything. Mine has been okay but leaves something to be desired. Black nitride vs. chrome well... I know some people who swear by chrome and some that swear by nitride. I like chrome.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts