AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own an ak and a VZ, if so how do they compare? What are the positives / negatives of each... I passed over buying an AK for the VZ... Just curious...

Thanks.

:beatdown:

:sniper:

:reaper:

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
I own several of each.

I like the handling characteristics of the '58 over the AK series. Accuracy is also better.

The '58 with it's milled receiver is lighter than a stamped AKM.

I do like the AK's simplicty though.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I own several AKs but finally got a VZ 58 last year, the VZ 58 is light weight, balanced, accurate and fun to shoot. The buttstock can be changed out in a few minutes.

The AK,.................................well..........I do love the AK :grin:

Get both!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Vz is better guaranteed. Anything you can think of as a plus with the AK, the VZ is better. Anything you can think of as a con with the AK, the VZ doesn't exhibit. VZ is better hands down......LOVE it!!! Won't be selling the AK's though!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Here are a few

VZ58

Pros:
Fun as hell to shoot..
Cool and unique design (headturner)..
More accurate than an AK..
Stock changes are a breeze..
cheap part kits..
lite weight..

Cons:

More difficult than a AK to clean..
The first field strip can be a Bitch to figure out ..
Plastic FCG needs replaced..

AKM/AK47

Pros:
Fun to shoot..
Easy to clean..
Parts are everywhere..
plus many more... :grin:

Cons:
Heavier than a VZ58..
Less accurate..
Cost of kits and part can be high...

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
You really think it's harder to clean than an AK huh? What do you think is harder about it? To me, it's about the same, just different. Actually, when you think about it, cleaning both CAN be a breeze. Just don't do it! I really don't think it would matter at all! :neutral:

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
I took my VZ 58 post sample through my last tactical rifle class. Never missed a beat. I'm building a more tactical friendly semi as my house/shop rifle.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
AK is more reliable and more simple, VZ-58 is more accurate, and lighter.

The VZ has bolt hold open, but the mags are aluminum and easy to brake/dent.

Both rifles are MUST HAVE!

·
Registered
581 Posts
You really think it's harder to clean than an AK huh? What do you think is harder about it?
Not really harder but more Complicated... There are just more main parts (at least 9) involved in field stripping a VZ58 than with an a AK ( 5 main parts)

The AK is almost idiot proof where the VZ58 Design is a little more complicated.. (compared to the AK)... :wink:

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
The Czechs are the most intellectual/intelligent people in Europe. So the more complex design of the VZ is not a problem. No uneducated peasants to learn the system.

Of course I may be saying that since ancestors on my father's side came from there. :grin:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Don't forget the Slovaks, those crazy Slavs who were a part of that nation at the time, too (and who still use the VZ-58). I like the Czechs, I like them alot, but the Slovaks get kind of a bum-rap because their name came second in the name. If it had been called Slovakoczechia how might we have thought of things?

But that is not in any great seriousness save for pondering the other portion of Czechoslovakia in the 1950's.

WM

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Think of the VZ as the best of an AK and SKS brought together. What I don't like about the VZ:

1. Lighter is also heavier recoil
2. Lack of aftermarket parts (is changing as we speak)
3. Lack of common parts, mags (stock up now)
4. Short barrel (if someone would make a simple barrel extender like I posted that would be great, so we can swap barrel devices)

The bolt hold open would be easily modified to be released with the trigger finger and an extended mag release made.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The only problem with the VZ-58 is they made 1 million VZ's and tens of millions of AK's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
the VZ 58 was introduced 11 years after the AK 47 ....so they had some time to develop a different and somewhat improved design.

Once I get my Czech firearms licence then my real collection will start :)

cheers

P

1 - 18 of 18 Posts