AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
AK-12 Parts Kit Details UPDATED 4AUG2020, ALL PARTS AND RECEIVER RECEIVED

See post #6 for update.

So my AK-12 kit is starting to show up (it was sent in seven different packages) and something that has really bugged me about the coverage on the rifle is that there are no real details on it beyond generic info. So, as I receive these parts I'm going to take pics and point out interesting differences or features. If you have any questions on something specific, just ask. General impressions on some of the parts so far:

1) Receiver cover: it feels extremely solid and it's not even mounted to the locking block. The rear sight is pretty sweet and would be a cool addition to other rails as well.

2) Stock: Again, feels extremely solid. A magnet sticks to almost all parts of it so there's a lot of steel in this thing. The stock is tight on the tube with no wiggle room. I'm working on getting a factory cheek riser. Not sure how confident I am in the long term material choice of using polymer for the sliding/locking rail for the stock, but I imagine the Russians tested this out fairly heavily to adopt it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely think that the demil kits are put together with some reject parts. The egging in the receiver stub would in no way be acceptable for a military rifle, especially considering how much it allows the handguard to wobble. The same goes for the handguard retaining pin spring, which bent with little effort when testing the handguard fit to the front stub. I already have a fix in mind for this, but it won't look or operate as the factory intended. This doesn't really bother me, but it's definitely something to keep in mind. I've noticed from looking at other kits that the parts marked with "CY" are not consistent, which furthers my hypothesis that parts marked with that designation are in fact reject parts. If anyone has any other insight into this please let me know. I'm overall pretty disappointed in the handguard arrangement and their overall feel.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
great informative post! Well done, and it should definately be a Sticky

Reactions: Fiorentino

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Nice looking kit.
You get this kit out of the marketplace on akfiles from one of the Russian sellers?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Stupid question: the barrel, receiver, piston, and bolt carrier group are the same as standard ak74 units? If one ordered the kits, you could finish it with standard parts?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stupid question: the barrel, receiver, piston, and bolt carrier group are the same as standard ak74 units? If one ordered the kits, you could finish it with standard parts?
Depends on the amount of work you're willing to put in. Bolt, bolt carrier, and piston should all work fine as is. Obviously, those items from a Saiga or Vepr would be more correct, but Bulgarian units will work. For the receiver, you could use a 5.5mm AK-74 receiver, but it would require the front latch holes to be welded up and the cross hole to be drilled in the exact location that the handguard retaining pin hole is. I'm working to make AK-12 specific receivers and blanks a thing, but not sure how long that will take. Also, the selector detents and markings on a typical Russian AK-74M receiver wouldn't be correct for the AK-12 due to them overall being higher on the receiver and the addition of the two-round burst position. All of those things can be overcome obviously, and a lot of it can be left alone if it doesn't bother you that they're not correct for the AK-12.

For the barrel, things are a little more complicated. The AK-12 barrel is larger in diameter in most aspects and has features that aren't present on the AK-74. People have been using standard AK-74 barrels, but they need work to allow the parts to fit and more so to add the shoulder where the sling loop resides. In addition, you'll have the features required for the AK-74 handguard retainer still present, which looks awkward given the AK-12 doesn't use it. Again, if things like that don't bother you and you have the means to work around the issues, then it can work just fine. Obstreperous over on the other forum (not sure if he's on here too) is going to be making AK-12 specific barrels on his CNC lathe once he's done with the SVD barrels he's working on.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am not on akfiles because of the atmosphere, so hopefully that fella markets his barrels here too. Let me know more about the receiver solution you come up with.
Given the documentation you are providing here, I have no doubt your final product will be the benchmark by which we all compare ourselves too!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I have a CAD assembly for the AK12 that needs to be varified. These should help out a ton.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, my remaining two packages are supposedly stuck on a ship trying to get to the US but is not being allowed to dock, so who knows when I'll get the remaining parts. This has also halted getting any new kits since Gregory is on lockdown in Russia, which sucks because I was going to pick up a complete kit for another build and comparison to this kit.

In the meantime, however, I was thinking about the issue of the handguard retaining pin spring bending under normal use. I started measuring the factory pin to possibly turn something up on the lathe when I found that the pin is 7mm in diameter. For some reason, I remembered that a G3 large push pin is also 7mm in diameter. So I went to the box of H&K spares, found a large pin, and wouldn't you know it; it's a perfect fit in diameter and in useable length for the AK-12. I feel as though this is a better retention method than what the AK-12 comes with, and will use it from here on in order to save the original spring from breaking on this particular kit. I've also ordered a KNS ball bearing push pin to test as another option. Just something to keep in mind if any of you are planning an AK-12 build and run into the same issue.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thank you for sharing all this information!

·
Registered
124 Posts
One of my newly found out dream rifles. Looking at pictures of this thing and I am almost drooling. Would be an interesting and challenging build I presume with all the missing/demilled parts. I wish you the best of luck! Thank you for all this info and for taking the plunge!!! Cant wait to see more and hopefully a fully built rifle!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the rest of the parts (finally) and I also got my barrel. I was going to turn my own barrel and then send it off to have it nitrided since that's easier to have a one-off done of as opposed to chrome. Well, Obstreperous turned a few on his CNC and had them chrome-lined. I'm finished up with the rest of the pics now, but here's the barrel:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's the rest of the parts. I'm honestly impressed with the cleaning kit and how it was thought out. It would seem they took the design from the CAA SBS stock with the dovetailed/removable buttplate, but I love how the cleaning kit works with the stock.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts