AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how should i proceed? and realistically what is the cost of building one correctly vs buying one?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
$7500 seems too high.
realistically build labor would be around $1k
donor saiga can be had for ~$1200
if you go with US-made front trunnion, bcg, barrel and receiver you will spend a little less maybe 20-25% compared to getting a donor.
plus whatever kit cost you paid.

wait times with builders right now vary between 6 and 18 month depending on what and who.
so, do your math and decide. 'here and now' and right off the shelf will always cost more than a build with tentative ETA. how much more is too mcuh is between you and your wallet.

with all that said. IMO ak-12 is not worth half of that price. there is just nothing in it that will warrant that ticket price. it's essentially still old and tired ak-74 with some new plastic slap-ons and few very minor quality of life upgrades. fundamentally it's nothing more but unsubstantiated hype. no paradigm shift there, same old same old. maybe if it was original ak-12 proto, then we can talk, but for this poor case of ak-74 facelift nip-n-tuck type rebranding, no thanks for me...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$7500 seems too high.
realistically build labor would be around $1k
donor saiga can be had for ~$1200
if you go with US-made front trunnion, bcg, barrel and receiver you will spend a little less maybe 20-25% compared to getting a donor.
plus whatever kit cost you paid.

wait times with builders right now vary between 6 and 18 month depending on what and who.
so, do your math and decide. 'here and now' and right off the shelf will always cost more than a build with tentative ETA. how much more is too mcuh is between you and your wallet.

with all that said. IMO ak-12 is not worth half of that price. there is just nothing in it that will warrant that ticket price. it's essentially still old and tired ak-74 with some new plastic slap-ons and few very minor quality of life upgrades. fundamentally it's nothing more but unsubstantiated hype. no paradigm shift there, same old same old. maybe if it was original ak-12 proto, then we can talk, but for this poor case of ak-74 facelift nip-n-tuck type rebranding, no thanks for me...
yea that makes alot of sense thank you for you response. I have seen some ak 12 kits for sale from random sellers and websites for $1500-$1800. If they are legit then it is still a gamble getting parts in the mail. Logical me says wait the cosmoline affecting my Brain says to buy it. I know its not worth it at that price but it is just to fucking cool.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
To answer the original questions. Yes.

Reactions: oligarch47

·
Registered
550 Posts
$7500 for a built AK-12? Ouch!

Get yourself an AK-12 kit that's already stateside and get it built.

I believe @frtalbert had a couple of kits listed for sale in the MP here. Get a barrel from @Obstreperous.

You'll be much better off going this route.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts