AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to AK's and wanted to know if there are AK built like the 14.5 inch barrel AR's with the welded flash suppressor to bring it to 16" overall length? Is that what a 104 is? SBRing a rifle is a big no-no in Michigan but I would like to keep things as compact as possible.

· Registered
3,162 Posts
The 104 is the 7.62x39 version of the 100 series Carbines. The 102,104,105 all have barrels that are 12.5" long and thus will have to be SBR unless you perm attach a muzzle device. The standard expander/booster/cone is not long enough to bring them out to 16+ inches. There are numerous other options of longer hiders/brakes/boosters that will do so.
My 105 sports a 74 style brake that is longer than normal to make it 16" BTHOMCCC (By the hair o my chinny chin chin). Keep in mind that as far as compactness goes on a 100 carbine you only gain about 1.5-2 inches of reduced length with a removable "correct" booster attached vs a perm attached one. (of course if you remove the booster you do gain 3.5 :) ) For me it just wasn't worth jumping through all the hoops as a 100 carbine with a 16" barrel is still under 26" folded :)

· Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12.5 inches is a little too short. So does anyone make a 104 style carbine with a 16 inch barrel that could be cut shorter without relocating the fsb. I can see how this might be more trouble than it's worth but I can't get over how cool it would be in 7.62 as that round does not seem to lose as much velocity in short barrels.

How much length does a normal 100 series brake add is probably the question I should be asking.

· Registered
316 Posts
I picked up an AK-105 barrel assembly from KVAR, and sent it along with my lancaster AK74 to red jacket to be converted. I was debating whether to go 7.62x39 or 5.45, but the lancaster barrel issues forced my hand.

Last I checked, kvar had the 7.62x39 AK104 barrel assemblies. Unless you buy the arsenal rifle, buying the barrel assembly is probably your best option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.