AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im tired of sifting throught the countless pages of pictures threads to find pictures of AK 100 series rifles, is there a AK 100 series picture thread? If not lets start one. :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
Tantal said:
That's a 74M, not an AK-100. :grin:
Dang you! :mrgreen:

See what I mean? I don't even think about it. Modern receiver, "bump rivet" on left side, 5.5 mm trunnion, black polymer furniture, side rail standard - all hallmarks of AK-100 series... 74M, 101 and 103 all have 16" barrels. 74M, and 105 are 5.45. But then you say that it's a 16" barrel AND 5.45 so it's no longer AK-100?

I refuse! You can't make me! Mom said it was OK! 74M = AK-100! :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,935 Posts
CumbiaDude said:
Tantal said:
That's a 74M, not an AK-100. :grin:
Dang you! :mrgreen:

See what I mean? I don't even think about it. Modern receiver, "bump rivet" on left side, 5.5 mm trunnion, black polymer furniture, side rail standard - all hallmarks of AK-100 series... 74M, 101 and 103 all have 16" barrels. 74M, and 105 are 5.45. But then you say that it's a 16" barrel AND 5.45 so it's no longer AK-100?

I refuse! You can't make me! Mom said it was OK! 74M = AK-100! :twisted:
You guys crack me up going back and forth about this. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,426 Posts
CumbiaDude said:
Dang you! :mrgreen:
Sorry, just had to mention it to an old friend again, all in fun man, hehe! From a practical standpoint, looking at the situation today, you (and your mom) are totally correct since AK74M was the basis for the AK-100 series. However, historically speaking it was not really an official part of that rifle series, which was developed for export (and marketed as such for almost 10 years). AK74M existed before the AK-100 series was devised, and thus 74M (being a domestic military rifle) was never officially classified under export series AK-100 nomenclature by the factory. Including it with the AK-100 rifles now seems quite logical since so many of the AK-100's are now official Russian military rifles, but doing so mistakenly infers they were all developed together as part of the same integrated family of rifles. I know, it's a nitpick but what the hell, hehe! Sorry to deviate!
Now, back to the cool images! If you have great 74M or 100 series images, lets see them all! :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
Tantal said:
Including it with the AK-100 rifles now seems quite logical since so many of the AK-100's are now official Russian military rifles, but doing so mistakenly infers they were all developed together as part of the same integrated family of rifles. I know, it's a nitpick but what the hell, hehe!
I know you were just harassin' me, it's all good :mrgreen: You're totally correct (of course) that we should remember that the AK-74M was developed before the rest. It's definitely the mama-bear, though. Anything else is just a recalibered or shortened AK-74M. :beer:

Pic thread:



Mr Kuzmin, I love your pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
I feel very left out as I don't have a folder......I should have saved up the extra cash and got the 94 instead of the 61 :doh:

I'm actually thinking about installing an East German folder on the 31-61......would that be a sin???????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
649 Posts
My "AK-101" made with an early 3 digit serial number SAR 3 rifle. I couldn't afford the correct engraving at the time. More's the pity :sad: Although I'd like to have it, I couldn't appreciate this rifle more.
It is very accurate using US mfg. ammo.









2 shots on target at 50 yds off a sandbag rest using Lake City M-855 62gr. ammo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
akaf47 said:
I'm actually thinking about installing an East German folder on the 31-61......would that be a sin???????
I had a lever-action Romy folder on my Saiga for a while before I went full-retard and spent an extra $250 or whatever to get the AK-100 and install it :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Malysh said:
My "AK-101" made with an early 3 digit serial number SAR 3 rifle. I couldn't afford the correct engraving at the time. More's the pity :sad: Although I'd like to have it, I couldn't appreciate this rifle more.
It is very accurate using US mfg. ammo.








Cool conversion!
Did you have to use some kind of shim when you installed the FSB and GB?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
649 Posts
I don't do most of the work on my own rifles. I limit myself to refinish of stocks and repainting, replacing rear sights, mundane stuff like that. I have replaced front sights and gas blocks on a few rifles over the years. I could have done a front sight replacement myself with a shim, a sleeve, and/or high temp silver solder on the barrel but I don't have the talent or experience to do folding stock receiver trimming, fitting and riveting of barrel trunnions. And, I don't have the jigs, tools, and spare receivers to practice on if I could get to that level.
Since it required a folding stock I had a professional builder/gunsmith do all of the work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,426 Posts
Mike, those are outstanding examples! Thanks for sharing those excellent pictures of your '74's.
Very accurate, too. Of course, the guy pulling the trigger might not be too bad of a shot to begin with. :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
649 Posts
Tantal said:
Mike, those are outstanding examples! Thanks for sharing those excellent pictures of your '74's.
Very accurate, too. Of course, the guy pulling the trigger might not be too bad of a shot to begin with. :beer:
Thanks, Doug. You have always been the kindest and most considerate soul.
It's no wonder I admire you so much.
 
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Top