AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a letter in the mail from AIM surplus stating that an unauthorized party was able to access uploaded images such as the peoples ID and FOID cards. They said that purchasing info wasn't stolen, so I assume credit cards weren't compromised, but IDs were.

AIM Surplus is handling this the right way by contacting law enforcement and a security firm, as well as reaching out to customers directly. They are also offering a free 1-yr Experian identity protection product, which will notify you if someone tries opening a credit account in your name.

However, this information has your picture, name, address and DOB. What happens after the year is up? What is to stop someone with this info from using that to.make a fake FOID card, with all my info?

Overall, I like AIM surplus. In think they run a good business, and I think they are dealing with this as well as they can. This just chaos my ass a bit.
Text Document Paper Paper product Font

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I got one too. These are the risks you take when you buy online. There is no such thing as complete safety from hackers. A few years ago it was Target, before that it was banks, today it's AIM, tomorrow it will be someone else

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, I believe you're right. I work at an I.T. firm (tech support, networking, consulting, etc) and I have found that it is very rare that a hacker is able to access information simply due to a bug or exploit, but rather a user making a bonehead move and infecting a machine. For a small company, itnisnt that difficult to ensure that you have the proper firewalls, security settings and permissions in place to protect from such issues. However it requires an investment in the I.T. infrastructure and/or a competent network administrator. Exploits also need to be patched in a timely fashion.
While, I don't know the details of this situation and it may well have been an unknown exploit, it is somewhat rare from what I've seen.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I got one too. These are the risks you take when you buy online. There is no such thing as complete safety from hackers. A few years ago it was Target, before that it was banks, today it's AIM, tomorrow it will be someone else

Indeed. I once had fraudulent purchases made on a credit card due to a trojan years ago (it was easy to stop the fraudulent charges), and my bank has automatically issued me a new debit card (with new number) on several occasions due to information being compromised at stores like Target. Hopefully the jackasses that got a hold of that FOID information won't be able to cause any serious problems.

·
Registered
152 Posts
problem is with this, now the bad guys know where all the gun owners live....
I'm semi retired, home a lot, neighbors are retired, im ready for anything, I don't care if the bad guys know where I live, im prepared for anything. LOL
:sniper:

·
Registered
183 Posts
The Credit Card info isn't the big problem here. The people that live in states that have SSN #'s on the ID's are the ones that need to worry. Free Credit checks will be useless as they could use this info next year or 10yrs from now.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I didn't like sending a photo of my ID to AIM in the first place ... but their prices lured me in.
Seems to me after seeing it and OKing ones account they should have deleted them .... no reason to keep them on file.

·
Banned
4,359 Posts
I didn't like sending a photo of my ID to AIM in the first place ... but their prices lured me in.
Seems to me after seeing it and OKing ones account they should have deleted them .... no reason to keep them on file.
Agreed.

How is it that places like Sportsman's Guide and Midway USA don't need a copy of your driver's license for ammunition sales?

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
What anyone requiring a picture ID should do is instead of keeping the license on file, just have a file stating that so and so has been validated and destroy the copy of the license.

Usually when I send mine I blank out the number.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
What anyone requiring a picture ID should do is instead of keeping the license on file, just have a file stating that so and so has been validated and destroy the copy of the license.

Usually when I send mine I blank out the number.
Wish id thought of that :(

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Agreed.

How is it that places like Sportsman's Guide and Midway USA don't need a copy of your driver's license for ammunition sales?
Exactly what I was thinking the first five or six times I looked at AIMs site and didn't buy.
There's only one explanation ... they are being all PC and covering their ass's

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I care..... a little! I still love my like new Polish AK mags

·
Registered
227 Posts
I got the letter in the mail today too. I'm angry they didn't protect this information better. I know how easy it is to make a little mistake, but I also know how easy it is to keep small systems pretty safe. I hope they follow-up with an AAR to help earn back our trust.

·
Registered
22,891 Posts
No information is safe.

Doesn't matter if it's hidden behind firewalls, proxy ISPs, or whatever. Someone bored or talented enough is going to sneak by and fuck around with things just for the lulz.

Reactions: Delacroix and Arik

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
No information is safe.

Doesn't matter if it's hidden behind firewalls, proxy ISPs, or whatever. Someone bored or talented enough is going to sneak by and fuck around with things just for the lulz.
This is his I view it. Not to say that aw fuck it may as well not have any protection but it is a constant battle. I'm sure banks have many levels better protection and they still get hacked. Unfortunately it comes with the territory.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts