AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new and looking for my first 7.62x39 AK, I think I've settled on one of these guns, it seems from my reserach that the new ones don't have some of the problems of previous ones, like a welded slat that shoots off...

Anyway few questions, mainly whats the difference between the AIM and Atlantic ones? They are the same price so are they really identical... whose making these stateside, and what are the US parts (and who makes em)?

Thanks for y'alls help, if I can scrounge up the dough (and esp if they get good reviews in this thread) I'll get one.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
nalioth said:
They're made in Bulgaria out of used parts / Arsenal 2nds.
What makes you say that?

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Dawg180 said:
nalioth said:
What makes you say that?
Info from the manufacturer.

These are being assembled by one of Arsenals sister companies.

They are stripping down old Bulgarian AK-47s and reusing the parts in these SSR-85 rifles.

Basically parts kit guns or WASRs(Bulgarian style).

There was a review here of one with the majorly rusted gas tube.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
nalioth said:
Dawg180 said:
nalioth said:
What makes you say that?
Info from the manufacturer.

These are being assembled by one of Arsenals sister companies.

They are stripping down old Bulgarian AK-47s and reusing the parts in these SSR-85 rifles.

Basically parts kit guns or WASRs(Bulgarian style).

There was a review here of one with the majorly rusted gas tube.
You have a link to that information? Sounds like a good read! I was not aware of that.

T :smile:

·
Banned
698 Posts
It is correct, these latest "Bulgarian" AKMs are scrap parts made into crap rifles. Avoid them. Do some searches, you will find out everything you need to know about the things.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You say that as if most of us don't already own guns made from "scrapped" guns - what's the difference between these and any other kit build?

·
Banned
698 Posts
Exothermia said:
You say that as if most of us don't already own guns made from "scrapped" guns - what's the difference between these and any other kit build?
Major RUST, severe pitting, heavily worn out parts.

These latest ssr85s are the biggest pieces of crap to ever come along. Seriously.

There is no comparison to our scrapped surplus riveted homebuilds.

Do the search and see for yourself.

google, yahoo.....do a fricken search.

·
Super Moderator
10,312 Posts
Bulgaria I.S.D was setup with the help of Global Trades for the purpose of making and importing the SSR-85 rifles. They used former laid off Arsenal Of Bulgaria ((10)) workers and built rifles from demilled AK-47 milled kits on a 1.6mm receiver with dies supplied by Global Trades.

I.S.D. is not a sister company of Arsenal of Bulgaria ((10)). When Global Trades/Armory USA went tits up, I.S.D. looked for other importers to pick up their wares. FWIW, Global Trades did hold I.S.D. to a higher quality standard than what is currently being imported for the last 2 years.

Contrary to popular belief, Arsenal of Bulgaria ((10)) is not the only arms company that is making firearms or firearms parts in Bulgaria. They are just the state sanctioned one.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
s70fan said:
Exothermia said:
Major RUST, severe pitting, heavily worn out parts.

These latest ssr85s are the biggest pieces of crap to ever come along. Seriously.

There is no comparison to our scrapped surplus riveted homebuilds.

Do the search and see for yourself.

google, yahoo.....do a fricken search.
Yeah... I sincerely disagree about the statements about the SSRs out now. My friend wanted a new AK and was looking for the best value all around. I steered him towards the SSR-85 at AIM.

For 550, the rifling is strong, there is no pitting or rust. The furniture was great, and the gun shoots similarly to my Post-ban Polytech. The finish on the receiver leaves a little to be desired, but its a damn fine gun for the money.

YMMV, but my friends SSR-85c is a damn good gun.

s70 have you actually owned/fired/held one of these?

·
Super Moderator
10,312 Posts
With the current imports and even when Global imported them, they came in unfinished, tuned down muzzle end and a low cap magwell. All the conversion and finish issues are problems with the current importer here in the states.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven't seen the issues discussed here with my SSR either. All the parts appear to be like new, the black poly version has K-VAR furniture. The muzzle is threaded, though it is a 1/2-28LH thread, which seems to limit the choices of muzzle device. The slant brake is US made, and is not welded on. With the magazines tried so far, a Promag (jury still out) and some Hungarian surplus, it functions as an AK should.

Beware of 922(r) issues, as some of these guns come with a US mag and use original Bulgarian FCG parts.

I've also seen threads from people are pretty unhappy with Lancaster or HDI's guns. Even Arsenal is reported to have passed some real turds lately. None of that would keep me from buying from them if that's what I really wanted. Research it, by all means, and buy whatever you think offers the best value for you.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
We have sold the SSR rifle line for about 6-8 years from Global to the current importer and have not noticed the crap worn out second hand pitted rifles made by second rate bulgarian workers mentioned above . We did have a few issues recently with the first batch with the parkerized finish bit have had no more returns or issues than we have had with any other AK builder . Just look at the recent Aresenal Inc SLR 107 issues .

·
Registered
785 Posts
My SSR85C is absolutely beautiful. Shoots good too. No problem with hollow points either.

Here is some info I found on these great rifles. Hope it helps.........It is a reply for info on the rifle.
Mr. Zark, glad you liked it. Yes, the feel when you pull back the carrier is one of the things I like best about the rifle. It appears to be simply the result of the much stiffer receiver not allowing the carrier to do anything but go back and forth.

As usual, AvtomatKalashnikova doesn't miss much. These are rifles built to our order by one of our Bulgarian partners. The receivers are built in our dies, identical to the 1.6mm dies we use here except for mag details. And you are right, you wouldn't like these much in the form we import them. We do a lot of machining and parts changing here before we ship them off to the distributors. We import them as approved "sporting rifles." They are fully functional sporting rifles, ready to shoot.

We buy stored pristine AK-47 machineguns from the Bulgarian Ministry of Defense, dismantle them there, and rebuild them on our new receivers. The barrel trunnion, rear trunnion, and trigger guard assembly are new parts, buiilt to our designs. (the milled rifles didn't have any trunnions, of course) The selector stops are new parts, machined correctly to the right dimension for each receiver. These are true factory production rifles, not really "parts kit guns" even though they are built from previously assembled rifle parts. The production is supervised by Ivan Kolev, so they should be good. (at least we are honest about the source of parts--not like certain other parties that tried to lie about something that can clearly be seen by experienced buyers)

We do the Parkerizing here at this point. We may have that done there in the future.

As far as we know, these are the only 7.62x39 stamped recevier rifles ever built in Bulgaria. This particular combination of 1.6mm receiver and AK-47 pattern rifle parts has only been built before in China.

The trigger group is our machined set, also with gas piston, pistol grip, and muzzle brake. The muzzle is threaded 1/2-28 right hand, same as the AR-15. We had to turn off the original 14mm lh theads to get them past the border.

I am very glad to see this review showing up on the Bulgarian forum. This rifle is truly Bulgarian quality. Most of the people building them have decades of experience at the Arsenal factory. The man who built the tools was Arsenal's head tool man for many years. And of course the best designer they ever had supervised the details.

We are not perfect yet. We are still working on details, but this is already one of the best AKs ever sold in the US.

Your dealers can get you one at Interstate Arms, RSR, Sports South, or Atlantic Firearms.

They are still in short supply, but we are shipping them as fast as we can get them ready.

By the way, we are currently using the Plum Polymer stock set. We now have a US grip that matches better than the one in the picture. These sets were installed years ago on Bulgarian AK-74s, destroyed in the last year or so. They were sold to us as Bulgarian. Some folks think they are not Bulgarian.

Within a couple of months, we will be using our new Polymer stock set. You can read about it here: http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=273605

We are short on the wood sets, but some are going out now with the blonde wood. More is one the way.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The last importer was Global then Lancaster played footsie with the contract but that fell through now TGI has the contract they have brought over 3 shipments so far . We have not seen the worn out parts issues etc but did see in the first shipment issues with the original Bulgarian park job and some scuffs , also the first batch had welded muzzle brakes and a few flew off , the current batch has threaded barrels 14 mm and the finish has been fine. Of course we are a wholesale / retail firm and want to sell product and we are not going to knowingly try to push a product that would have the problems listed in the above posts , however it could have happened we just have not seen this with the rifles that have been shipped to us .

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
So the latest ones have a 14mm muzzle, not 1/2"?

One more question-what are the US parts on the ones you have?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yes 14 mm ,do not have a list handy of US parts , hard to know exact make up of parts on all the rifles we sell . Should be stock sets ,pistol grip ,muzzle brake , etc

1 - 20 of 24 Posts