AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's seems I've gone from a build a week to a build every six months!!! :neutral: :goof:

Here is my 105 build fresh from the oven, so to speak. This build has been the longest of all my builds, about 3 1/2 years putting together! Had a few problems after finishing it that I have never run into before. First few rounds (20??) of the test fire stayed in the chamber with the bolt tearing the rims off! That was fun. Ended up having a rough chamber (on a brand new Bulgy K-Var virgin barrel!) that I polished with a cleaning rod from the muzzle. Then it was hitting like 6" to the left. Damn! Too far to just adjust for. Had to relocate the CANTED front gas block/sight. But, it hits dead center now and functions great with Romy and Russki ammo.............

It is/was a pieced together rifle using a NDS SF receiver that I had Ted engrave last year (along with the trunion) and press the other trigger hump into (authentic baby, authentic). The trunion, bolt carrier, etc., I all purchased from the EE or here over the years from different people. The barrel came, like I said, from K-Var. It all was waiting for an original 5.45 102/105 muzzle brake which is rarer than hen's teeth, even in Europe. Thanks on that to Chris at AK-USA. Anyway, I was lucky and got the solid-backed and mold-numbered trigger set from one of my 74 kits (most were hollow back) and picked up the NOS smooth Saiga top cover a few years ago from EAA. I presssed the barrel in and headspaced it before drilling and pinning the barrel of course. The Izhmash buttstock and hardware came from Oleg in the UK. Correct late design scope rail from Tantal (Doug). Spot welded the grip support on myself. The tax stamp came from my friends at Treasury. :roll: I installed a fake rivet head for the bolt bump rivet, just for looks, like I had done on several of my other 74 builds. Finish was my usual teflon-moly flat black with an over-mist of gloss black lacquer all over parkerizing. Turned out pretty sweet IMHO.

Here's a few pics taken in too bright of sunlight................enjoy.

This shows the solid backed trigger with the double trigger humps, ala Ted Marshall.

There's just something about this barrel length that I like!! Here it is next to it's Bulgarian 5.56 X 45 cousin that I SBR'ed a while back. 105 on the left, 102 on the right..............

Trunion engraving

Selector markings and other side trigger "bump"

If anyone would like a pic of something specific just ask. :smile:

Reactions: TPinFl

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Dude...very, very nice. So you have no idea how jealous I am right now. :shock: Why can't I own an SBR in Michigan? Rifles like this one have convinced me that it's time to move...

Congrats on one hell of a sexy rifle.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
ak

I've seen that gun before on top 10 combat rifles, they showed being put in a crate at the factory, looks unbeleivable

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Fantastic job as usual!!!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Tomovich said:
If anyone would like a pic of something specific just ask.
How about a photo with one of those in a box, with my address on it? :razz:

Superb work!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Tomovich, your eye for authenticity down to the little details makes me proud to be a member of this site. That is an awesome build, a true beauty. The same can be said for your other builds, and your non AKs in your collection.

:hail:

·
Registered
192 Posts
That's just awesome, man!
Can we get some close ups of Ted's Izzy trunnion engraving?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IronBalaclava said:
That's just awesome, man!
Can we get some close ups of Ted's Izzy trunnion engraving?
I just went out and shot a couple of additional pics.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
:hail: Very nice. Your finish looks so clean. And the rivits look really good. Nice engraving work. This rifle is TOPS....

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Vashthestanbeto said:
OMG!
:shock: This build is godly...I am normally not a 100 series fan(too modern for me..early 1980s' 74 are my favor) but now I wanted one :oops:

I'm the same way. 100 series AKs usually do nothing for me..I just don't get into them...then Tom comes along with this and now I need one. Someday...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
thats what i want

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Marvelous............................................................................................................................................................................................................mag dimple too big

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
That thing is BEAUTIFUL! I need to sell my Glock 23C so I can get the AK105 barrel from K-Var...

Where'd you get that sweet khaki sling??

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pupwag said:
Marvelous............................................................................................................................................................................................................mag dimple too big
Tell Harlan and Mike, not me! :goof:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blanco_Diablo said:
Where'd you get that sweet khaki sling??
Russia?

I don't remember but it's Russian. I probably bought it ten years ago.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts