AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edited to add a couple of pics, and change the annoying text color, and a little more text.

This is an AGS-17 that I aquired in Iraq. I had the launcher, the sight, the magazine, the ammo... but no tripod.
Thought briefly about trying to strap it down to something and shoot it, but I wussed out.

I have a bunch more pictures, but I really need to resize them. They are, like, big. I'll post them when I get a chance.

Text pirated from the web:
The AGS-17 is a blowback-operated 30-mm automatic grenade launcher that can be mounted on a tripod
or vehicle. A prominent drum magazine mounted on the right side holds 29 belted grenade rounds. The
non-disintegrating metallic link belt exits from the left side. The short barrel with disc-shaped cooling
fins protrudes from a large rectangular receiver. For ground transport, the system breaks down into four parts.
The launcher itself weighs 17.86 kilograms and may be enclosed in a canvas carrying case. The sight weighs
0.99 kilograms; the folding tripod weighs 11.86 kilograms; and the magazine weighs 14.34 kilograms
fully loaded, or 2.87 kilograms empty. The AGS-17 crew consists of a gunner and two riflemen-assistant
gunners. For training, there may be only one assistant. When they dismount, the gunner carries the
sight and launcher, the first assistant carries the tripod and a magazine, and the second assistant carries two
additional magazines.

The gunner can engage targets by high-angle indirect fire at ranges from 1,000 to 1,730 meters; he can also
use direct fire or high-angle direct fire at ranges from 50 to 1,730 meters. The sight reticle can serve as a direct-fire
sight for point targets at ranges of up to 700 meters. The range table allows the gunner to adjust his fire
rapidly for various ranges without computing elevations for the sight.

Not a whole lot to say about it, but it's beefy. Simple. Cool. The flamingos and the 60mm mortar
were in the middle of our compound in Iraq.

These rounds are cool. The projectile itself is the silver fuze on the front, AND the black part that extends 3/4 of the way to the base of the cartridge. The black part is steel, full of bang, and there to make frag. The casing is the small goldish thing at the back. Neato, huh?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't bring that one home... would have been cool, though. Wish I got to shoot it..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts