AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The struggle for Empire in Central Asia. By Peter Hopkirk.

I am about ¾ or so through the book, which tells the tale of countries' attempts (mainly Britain, Russia, and to a small extent China) to control Central Asia. Here we are in 2021, and it's all a big fat mess like it's been for hundreds of years. Pull out, leave them to their own demise because no one, and I mean no one, has been successful in controlling Afghanistan ever. Peace the fuck on out!

By the way it’s a good read if that’s your thing.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
^^^^^^^^^
won't happen I saw Ned Price the other day say that Russia and china have no desire to go into afgghanistan. While it looks like a completely legit idea from a chinese perspective to say have a complete land route to iran, won't happen. won't happen even though the chinese have said they will recognize the taliban as the government in afghanistan once they gain full control of the country. won't happen just like biden said the taliban won't have a decisive win over the 350K national afghan army. won't happen as biden says we won't watch another vietnam style end to the conflict. Just won't happen.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Another war handled by the politicians. Good to go till it isn't. Imagine all the equipment and supplies left there. What a giant waste. Our country will never learn to stay out of business like this. Going after bin laden was a good idea but why try and occupy a country to do it?? Build schools power plants etc lots of money wasted. We still are in Korea and in Germany. I think we should keep wars from happening here. Let the other countries protect themselves. Why should we be the police or army of the world?

·
Super Moderator
26,634 Posts
Another war handled by the politicians. Good to go till it isn't. Imagine all the equipment and supplies left there. What a giant waste. Our country will never learn to stay out of business like this. Going after bin laden was a good idea but why try and occupy a country to do it?? Build schools power plants etc lots of money wasted. We still are in Korea and in Germany. I think we should keep wars from happening here. Let the other countries protect themselves. Why should we be the police or army of the world?
Humvee's, Blackhawk helicopters, drones still in their boxes, missiles of all types, M16s, MRAPs and literally billions of dollars of other equipment left behind. I know several vets from Afghanistan, and one has a very bad TBI from getting two concussions in one day. The original withdrawal date was in May, and thanks to this incompetent regime, was delayed. In the eyes of the Afghanis, it was a major insult.
The picture of the Chinook over the roof of the embassy in Kabul is just sad.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
20 years worth of blood and national treasure. Pissed away.... and what we have to show for it is the patriot act and the freaking tsa.
Actions have consequences. Things like this will only serve to embolden the enemies of the United States. We've upzipped our fly and pissed down our leg.

For years I was critical of ROE and other ham-fisted things that got in the way of actually fighting to win. The DoD is more concerned with fighting "extremism" within the ranks, and playing touchy-feely with the lavender brigade. But at least all of the mi-contractors got paid.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Imagine if this was all taking place on Sept 11 the original biden admin proposed pull out. Well as jojo said he was boxed in by Trump. One of the few times he has said Trump's name and not calling him the previous.......
this POS has reversed many of Tumpr's actions but he couldn't have reversed the troop withdrawl? Bull shit. He better close the border tight after this!
Watching our very own bahgdad bob (john kirby). All lies and deflections and yes I still lay blame with the afghans themselves for their role in their future.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The struggle for Empire in Central Asia. By Peter Hopkirk.

I am about ¾ or so through the book, which tells the tale of countries' attempts (mainly Britain, Russia, and to a small extent China) to control Central Asia. Here we are in 2021, and it's all a big fat mess like it's been for hundreds of years. Pull out, leave them to their own demise because no one, and I mean no one, has been successful in controlling Afghanistan ever. Peace the fuck on out!

By the way it’s a good read if that’s your thing.
I've read that book several times over the years and still refer to it now and then. It's one of the best books I've ever read.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Next, I recommend:
1. The Great Gamble The Soviet War in Afghanistan
2. The Hidden War A book written by a Russian Journalist in Afghanistan during the Soviet occupation.
3. Manhattan to Baghdad

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Bob Gates said jojo has been wrong on almost all of his decisions in the past and obama said jojo has a hell of way at F'ing things up, phrases coming to haunt us. Redeem yourself somewhat domestically jojo and close the border hard. Get the afghans that help us out!!!! and vetted.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've read that book several times over the years and still refer to it now and then. It's one of the best books I've ever read.
I was throwing the idea or re-reading it once done. But two college classes keep me a bit occupied, maybe afterwards.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you all miss Trump yet ?
Trump was going to pull out as well but from what I read it would have been a much slower process. I think he said by Christmas 2021. But biden just pulled out with no real plan in place.Either way Afghanistan will go back to being what it has always been. Hope we keep a better idea on what takes place there so no repeat in attacks against the US.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Next, I recommend:
1. The Great Gamble The Soviet War in Afghanistan
2. The Hidden War A book written by a Russian Journalist in Afghanistan during the Soviet occupation.
3. Manhattan to Baghdad
Interesting the two book below have the same front picture cover. Both less that 20 buck delivered, more reading material to add to the growing library.
The Great Gamble The Soviet War in Afghanistan

Ill gives those a look see, read this a few years ago. good insight on tactics used and what worked and what didnt.
The Bear Went Over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan

1 - 20 of 104 Posts