AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JOHNO said:
Sturmgrenadier,is that the same Afghan era pouch thats still avaliable?
I'm sorry JOHNO, I totally missed this question first go around...

Still available?

The 6 mag cell/ 4 grenade cell/ Bayo chest pouch I believe wasn't used in Afghanistan unless very late. I haven't seen any documentated pictures showing these in use. I believe this style was used in the early 90s to late 90s untill all the other (nylon) assualt rigs started coming out.

The Russian lifchiki used prominantly in Afghanistan looks just like the ChiCom 3 cell with 2 smaller pouches on each side of the mag cells.

On ChiComs the farthest to the left (if your wearing it) small pouch is rubberized. Russians never rubberized this small pouch.

Theres other distinguishing features that differ between the two also.

Difference in colors.

Chinese pouch uses 1.5" silver colored D-Rings and Russian pouch uses 1.2" black colored D-rings

Chinese pouch waist strap is two sides and ties in middle of back. Russian uses a long ribbon on the right (as worn) that loops through a D-ring on the left (as worn).

Shoulder straps on Chinese are 1.125" wide cotton web and have brown, ersatz leather keepers that are sewn to close the loop. The Russian straps are 1" wide and do not have keepers.

Wooden toggles on Chinese pouch are 1.0625" wide and have pointed ends. Russian toggles are 1" wide and have blunted ends and their diameter is slightly smaller than the Chinese ones.

As I said before, this is one instance that the Russians copied/improved on a ChiCom design. It is my understanding that the Russians started using captured Chinese chest pouches in Afghanistan and thus led to Russian domestic production.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Thanks for the clarification SG,I missed out on those Mike had a few years ago and I have'nt seen any since.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well doing some research I found out that I got the VOG belt from the same guy we got the chest pouches from. On gunsnet his nick is KWB52.

He says this on 1-3-05...

I imported around 70 of the 3rd/4th type pouches last year along with a small quantity of matching VOG belts. All of which were dated either 87, 88, or 89.

To my knowledge, there were three (major) variations of the chest pouch manufactured. The later variation/s (note pics above) had a VOG belt specifically made for them - these pouches also have two slots that are for bayonet holstering.

The first type pouch which was manufactured from late 49/early in 1950 into the late 70's/80's is the variation that the Chinese copied and produced in very large numbers.

Also, the Russians gave away a quantity of the later production pouches to the Ukrainian Armed Forces.

A friend in Russia gave me info on the manufacturer but I can't find it at this time...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sturm, I was actually lookin at some Afghan era pics on some Russian sites that were linked of Militaryphotos.net that showed Russian soldiers wearing the 6 mag harness with the leather tab closures. I also recently found a video clip from a Russia documnetary on the Afghan war, and showed some Afghan fighters with captured 6 mag vests. Ill have to dig up the links and post em

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please do cause I'd be very interested in seeing them.

If they were used in Afghanistan then it would have to definately be late war, circa 87-89.

Another reason this is true is because we have mint never issued surplus. As KWB said, Russia even gave a bunch to the Ukrainians, in which we luckily got them from.

I sure hope you find those pics/links.

Only pic I've seen come close is of the buddies posing. Still it is not the same as we have. It is like the original except instead of toggles, it has snap buttons.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Ive been looking, I havent found em yet. I was searchin through others that I had with Afghan pics. I found a couple of interesting pics. Ive seen about 8 different variations of chest harness asside from your standard ChiCom style that was used in the early 80s. They were on a Russian site, I dont know Russian so I dont know who to give the credit to, but they were from the site: (http://www.reznik.pri.ee/afgan_photos.cfm)

Looks like a 5 or more cell AK harness that was proally made custom.

Standard toggle style in the middle, but what really is interesting is the RPG optic on the AK-74. Used as a spotting scope perhaps? Could you zero that optic for a rifle?

Since this topic started off with Eastern Block grenades, look at this crazy guy.

But yeah, the pics I saw with the similar 6 mag vest must have been real late war, because all the vests Ive seen had the inspectors date of 1988.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Previously we talked about the alledged Afghan era 6 mag/4 grenade canvas chest pouches.

Ok.....Chechnya....March 13, 2000

I found a picture of these "Afghan" pouches in action with a group of Russian troops headed into a Chechen vill.

Look at the guy with the full mask at right sitting on the turret... Thats the 6 mag canvas chest pouch with the leather flaps. You can also see the top right grenade pouch.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Thats the one I'm looking for! :grin:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I blew up the pic. It doesn't look like SVD mags..it almost looks like some type of commo gear....Put me down for one when someone finds them! :grin: I could really use one of those chest rigs also. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As you can tell by his helmet he is mechanized. You can see he has the normal compass on the right strap. Two flares, one in each tube.

I have seen similar vests on other mechanized guys as well as other unique designs too.

Tell me how easy it would be to reach one of these mags?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I thought those looked like flares, but wondered if they could be launch motors for an RPG-7. What goes in the short pockets?

I've got a few Czech flares that look similar to that. They are out there, right now, if you shop around.

Mine are parachute flares...

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your Czech flare look like this? This is a 1978 dated one.

Thats what Erhard carried but alas hes out of biz.

The cardboard flares are one sought after item when trying to complete a display of Afghan/Chechnya militaria.

Used flares are often cut down and used as muzzle covers in the field.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Chad-

If you are looking for anything, let me know.. Can normally point you in the right direction, or ask someone that can get it..

The chest pouches, I asked from a contact in Russia.. He said that only Spetsnaz used (no longer) them in his area, but would try to get some.

Source for the flares-
http://zbraneonline.cz/armysurplus.html

ROS 40; About $2 each, but they are live (and in czech).. Might be able to work something out with the place..

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
SturmGrenadier said:
I found a picture of these "Afghan" pouches in action with a group of Russian troops headed into a Chechen vill.

Look at the guy with the full mask at right sitting on the turret... Thats the 6 mag canvas chest pouch with the leather flaps. You can also see the top right grenade pouch.

Awesome picture, Sturm.

I think they mean business.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts