AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new AES-10B. There is no windage adjustment rear sight, just a regular AKM sight. However, the regular sight is a matching numbered sight. But the serial number "engraving" on the rear sight looks like it was done with a nail or something. Much more sloppy than any other serial number or engraving on the rest of the rifle. For instance, there are two of the number "8" in the serial number on the rear sight. They are a different size and style.

Do you think someone in the line of custody of these rifles has been replacing the RPK windage adjustable sight with a regular sight and doing a quick engraving job on it? Or do you think the monkeys at the Cugir factory in Romanian are just that bad of engravers and ran out of windage sights?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well to be perfectly honest I'm not surprised. I've got an AES-10B myself and a bunch of the numbers don't match, and some of the parts are obviously military surplus. The top cover is mismatched, and has already been ground down and renumbered before, so it's seen use on at least three different rifles. :lol: Some of them have been coming with RPK sights and some wit AKM sights, some have been coming with RPK top covers and some with AKM covers. Some have been coming with all laminated furniture and some have been coming with hardwood RPK furniture.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say Cugir had a bunch of RPK parts lying around, and decided to throw a bunch of these together, and thus the AES-10B was born. If they ran out of a particular part they substituted whatever they had. My guess is we may see one more shipment of these and then probably won't see them again. I'm not sure if Cugir still makes the 7.62x39 RPK for anybody (military) any more. They may have built these as a way to clear out their old stock of these parts.

·
Registered
742 Posts
From my knowledge, the Romanian Army is currently using their version of RPK74 in complimentary of the AIMS-74. and it looks to me, that the AES-10B, is a bunch of their RPK74 parts mixed with some old .30cal RPK parts. I do hope they will one day make their RPK74 avaliable to the U.S market just like the AES-10B

·
Super Moderator
10,310 Posts
Exothermia has made the correct observation. Cugir is slapping these together from leftover surplus parts. Would not surprise if they just threw on a AKM sight leaf rather than the correct RPK one.

Hootbro

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Re: AES-10B came in: No windage adjustment rear sight, but..

Shrike37 said:
I just got my new AES-10B. There is no windage adjustment rear sight, just a regular AKM sight. However, the regular sight is a matching numbered sight. But the serial number "engraving" on the rear sight looks like it was done with a nail or something. Much more sloppy than any other serial number or engraving on the rest of the rifle. For instance, there are two of the number "8" in the serial number on the rear sight. They are a different size and style.

Do you think someone in the line of custody of these rifles has been replacing the RPK windage adjustable sight with a regular sight and doing a quick engraving job on it? Or do you think the monkeys at the Cugir factory in Romanian are just that bad of engravers and ran out of windage sights?
It's hard to say if they ran out or not. One of mine came with the proper sight, the other with a standard AKM style sight. The one with the standard sight also had a thinner front sight post than other AK's I've seen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts