AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm currently in the market for a rifle. I've decided on an AK variant of some sort, was looking for any and all advice on brands and types. I'd prefer one with all metal parts. Also, are tactical rails advised for an AK or unnecessary? For a sight and such. Otherwise, thank you all in advance for any advice you can offer, I appreciate the help!

·
Super Moderator
26,318 Posts
For that kind of money, I would be looking in the WTS section here, and see what is available. Personally, I would stay away from the all US made produced versions, and instead look for a nice all matching clone built on a US receiver, or even a WASR if the price is right. If you keep the cost down, you can spend some money on getting good reliable combloc produced magazines, and 1K or more of ammo. Try and stick with the original caliber 7.62x39, and unless you like under folders, stay with a fixed stock for your first one.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Welcome. Like JoeMomma said, you can get a WASR or an NPAP for $500-$600 currently. They are a great, basic entry level AK that are foreign made. On the higher end of the financial spectrum, Arsenal is probably the safest bet. They will run $850-$1400 depending on the model and options.

I got my first AK last year, a Zastava underfolder and I love the thing. I'm looking to get an Arsenal Sam7 in the future.

Reactions: MPiKM-72

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
For that kind of money, I would be looking in the WTS section here, and see what is available. Personally, I would stay away from the all US made produced versions, and instead look for a nice all matching clone built on a US receiver, or even a WASR if the price is right. If you keep the cost down, you can spend some money on getting good reliable combloc produced magazines, and 1K or more of ammo. Try and stick with the original caliber 7.62x39, and unless you like under folders, stay with a fixed stock for your first one.
I agree with this. I like my AK74s, but if you are just getting started it would be wise to go with 7.62 x 39. I'd watch the marketplace for a SAR1. Then spend the rest on mags ammo and upgrades

·
Super Moderator
26,318 Posts
A SAR 1 is a great option. I wish I had never sold mine.

Reactions: btr

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ready to spend a good bit on your first AK, what i'd advise you do is buy some sort of foreign rifle like a WASR and spend the rest on magazines and ammo. If not a WASR then a slr-107fr is pretty sweet and not too much more on the used market.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
All AKs have all metal parts except for the grip, butt Stock and handguards. Those can be either wood or plastic

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Welcome to the group!

For that money, look for a Norinco MAK-90 which you should be able to find in excellent condition. SAR-1 would also be a good choice but some were known to have trigger slap due to poorly made US replacement parts by Century, the importer. Easily fixed but good to know about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree on the MAK 90. It started my love for the AK and I own 18 AK's three years later. You could score a nice MAK 90 for $700 or sometimes cheaper and then go Ironwood on the stock and be in at your $1000 mark.

·
Registered
735 Posts
For that kind of coin, couldn't he find a decent Russian AK built as a kit with a reputable receiver?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts