Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in need of some advice, i can seem to make of my mind on what i should get. id like something thats accurate, reliable, and not to expensive.

id like to keep it under $250.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
for inexpensive/reliability/cheap ammo , you can't beat a mosin 91/30 or m44.i have a 91/30 and 2 m44's and i love them all.the m44 with heavy ball ammo makes for a killer fireball too.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Look for a Finnish M39. Works like a match grade MN91/30!

Well worth the extra cost over a MN91/30 IMO.

But for a inexpensive rifle, the 91/30 is tough to beat.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
after shooting the M91/30 im a lil scared of what a 7.62x54R would do to my shoulder out of a smaller, lighter weight gun. my shoulder was black/blue every time i took the rifle out.

it even dislocated one of my buddies shoulders when he didnt hold it right. :shock:

i dont think id want an M44, i take to many amatuers out shooting and that kinda recoil could kill someone.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The 91/30 is best price-wise. Next choice, to me, would be the Enfield. (I choose it over the Swiss K31 because I have no experience with Swiss rifles; I am given to understand that they are exceptionally accurate in comparison to the others listed. ) It still will have a fair amount of recoil. but the cartridge is an excellent one compared with the x54 and the '06; they are good, accurate rifles and soaked in history. The #1 Mk III may have less recoil due to its heavier weight than that of the #4.
To me, the 91/30 & the Enfield will have comparable recoil. Don't know about the others. Recoil has never been a factor to me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have all of those except the Jap 99. My choice would be an Enfield but a later mark, such as a No4MK2 or Mk1.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
matt85 said:
after shooting the M91/30 im a lil scared of what a 7.62x54R would do to my shoulder out of a smaller, lighter weight gun. my shoulder was black/blue every time i took the rifle out.

it even dislocated one of my buddies shoulders when he didnt hold it right. :shock:

i dont think id want an M44, i take to many amatuers out shooting and that kinda recoil could kill someone.

Amazingly, the M44's I have don't have quite the recoil the full length 91/30's have. They are pretty comfortable to shoot. But they DO have an awesome muzzle blast and put a large fireball downrange. Great fun if you're in a dark indoor range like we used!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
dan44 said:
I have all of those except the Jap 99. My choice would be an Enfield but a later mark, such as a No4MK2 or Mk1.
+1

Although, I do have an Arisaka in 7.7mm and the recoil is surprisingly mild, given the light weight of the rifle. The downside is that it's probably one of the most expensive surplus rifles to feed. Reloading is almost a must.

I have two Enfield No.4 Mk.Is and love both of them. Not expensive to shoot, recoil is nothing harsh and they are very accurate. Of all my surplus rifles, the Enfield is my all around favorite.

Don't overlook the Mausers, though. While they recoil more than the Enfield, they are relatively cheap to shoot and can also be just as accurate, if not more so.

Best of luck. Let us know what you get! :wink:

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a Type 99. Sweet shooter.
Only have 40 rounds through her though. Not enough dough.
Find a M 39 ,as stated above. Nice rifles.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I vote K-31, beautiful swiss workmanship for 1st choice.

2nd place is Finnish M-39 mosin-nagant. Cheaper surplus ammo.

Either one will serve you well.

Guy

·
Super Moderator
25,845 Posts
I picked the 91/30 from the ones you listed because they are inexpensive, and the availibility of surplus ammo.

Next choice would be the K-31. Ammo is reasonable in price, non-corrosive, and the rifles are first rate with fit, and finish.

Lee Enfield No4 Mk2 would be a good, but quality surplus ammo is hard to find.

I would also highly recommend a quality 8mm Mauser. Lots of models to choose from. Drawback is the 8mm surplus...its getting expensive.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any one have a pic of a K-31 with the proper bayonet on it? i cant seem to figure out what kinda bayonet it uses.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Cheap ammo = something in 7.62x54R. ( Me, has to be something in Finn rifle. )

Best shooter = Swiss K31

Either one can used as a backup hunting rifle when you can't use a scoped rifle for some reason. Keep your range in proper perspective. I have a few Enfields ( 2A1's and a MK4No2, but don't shoot them much)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the K-31 seems like an interesting choice. the ammo is a bit pricey but the action is alien to me. (which is a good thing)

how quickly can this gun be fired? ive never seen one in person, is the action difficult to use?

·
Super Moderator
25,845 Posts
matt85 said:
the K-31 seems like an interesting choice. the ammo is a bit pricey but the action is alien to me. (which is a good thing)

how quickly can this gun be fired? ive never seen one in person, is the action difficult to use?
It cycles VERY fast! And most of them are excellent shooters. Ammo is pricey, so I"d buy it in bulk because its ckeaper in the long run.
I"ll be taking my K-31 out to the range later on today, I"ll post some pics.

·
Super Moderator
25,845 Posts
I"ve owned my K-31 for over two years, and never got around to firing it. So in the intrest of the poll, I took her out today and the results were outstanding!

My first fifteen shots were above the bullseye at 100m (with one flyer that went ???). The next fifteen were in the bull. I was wondering why the IP had changed, then I remembered that when I bought the rifle, I took it out of the wood for inspection. The action re-bedded and this target was the result.
Working the bolt was fast and smooth, and the sights were dead nuts on with the standard six o'clock hold. I will try the rifle at 200m, and 300m next time.

·
Super Moderator
25,845 Posts
machineguneddie said:
I love the trigger on the K31, smooth as butter
Yep...as close to match as a stock milsurp can get IMO.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts