AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't decide whether to post this in the Bulgarian section or here, so my choice is obvious. Alright, I'm 17 years old. If nobody figured it out (or if anyone cares, lol), the first thread I posted was about myself. I've grown up around firearms. My father bought his Maadi AKM right before 922r was a thing. I am now more familiar with the AK platform than he is. I've stripped & cleaned it more times than he has. Not that it's not locked up, but when we come home from the range, I've always been in charge. Although I've shot ARs before, I've always been an AK fanboy.

Anyway, I plan to get my first rifle soon. My mother or father will register it in their names & keep it locked up when we're not at the range, but I would pay for it & have it transferred into my name when I turn 18. I have a well-paying job now, so I'm looking to spoil myself (I'm not a big spender so I want to get this for the occasion). I've been strongly considering the Arsenal SLR104-31. I've never shot a 5.45x39 gun, but aside from recoil, I can't imagine it'd be much different from a 7.62x39 gun in terms of comfort. I really like the folding stock that holds the cleaning kit. I'm also a fan of the lack of quad rails on the handguard because I'm not trying to go super mall ninja. The accessories I've been looking at are the Krebs safety selector, some sort of red dot or lower-end ACOG scope, an E93 sling adapter, a 1-point sling & bayonet. As far as a rail for mounting my optic, I haven't decided whether I want to go with a traditional scope mount or a Dog Leg rail dust cover from Texas Weapon System. I think the Dog Leg might look too tacticool so I've been leaning more towards a traditional mount, but I'm not sure. The only accessories I know for a fact that I want to get shortly after obtaining the gun are the Krebs safety selector & a bayonet. If I were to buy the other stuff, it'd definitely be further on down the road. I know it's a hefty investment, but it's one that I'm willing to take at the moment. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! ;)

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I highly recommend sticking with the traditional scope mount; the domestic rail cover options are hit and miss on their capability to maintain zero. I would opt for a PK-01V red dot for first optic as it is rugged and affordable. Before you go for that, I'd invest in getting some 7n6 while the price remains somewhat low, with some commercial 5.45 on the side.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Just so you know, there is no registry (unless your state has one), all your parents or legal guardian have to do is pass a background check and its yours. There is no registry for your parents to put it in and no need to transfer said non-existent registration to you upon your 18 birthday...

NOTE-I am not familiar with Pa laws, somebody please correct me if I am wrong and PA does have some sort of registration setup...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just watched a review of the optic and it looks promising. I'd rather get that than an EOTech. As for the ammo, I was looking at both the surplus 7n6 & Tula non-corrosive. All I've ever shot was surplus ammo and I have no complaints aside from how harmful it can be if you don't clean your gun immediately after, but that's never been an issue for me personally. Thank you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly I'm not quite sure how it works. I know that my father once had to go to a shop to transfer his .45 from his ex wife to himself, but Philadelphia county has different laws from the rest of the state because that's where we were living at the time. I know it some areas, if not all, allow the transfer of handguns between family members at age 18 but now some boroughs & towns have enacted their own gun control laws so I don't know if this kind of stuff is the case in every area.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If you pay for the gun, but your parents buy it for you, that is Federal felony straw purchase, since you are actual buyer. Don't do it!!! Not joking, that is a textbook straw purchase.

If your parents buy then gun and pay for it themselves, they can give it to you as a FREE GIFT and that is ok under federal laws. You can't pay them back or it becomes a straw purchase.

I don't know anything about state laws in PA, but these are the federal laws.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
If you pay for the gun, but your parents buy it for you, that is Federal felony straw purchase, since you are actual buyer. Don't do it!!! Not joking, that is a textbook straw purchase.

If your parents buy then gun and pay for it themselves, they can give it to you as a FREE GIFT and that is ok under federal laws. You can't pay them back or it becomes a straw purchase.

I don't know anything about state laws in PA, but these are the federal laws.
Almost forgot about this. To the ATF, it doesn't matter if you've got a squeeky-clean record; if you've got two legal, completely in the clear citizens, and one asks the other to buy a gun for him... BAM! ATF says you're an evil law breaking criminal and need to be put to jail for years and pay big bucks to club fed for violating their interpretation of law.

On the other hand, if you buy a firearm and then later decide you don't like it, you can sell it to another legal person and it's no harm, no foul. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Honestly I'm not quite sure how it works. I know that my father once had to go to a shop to transfer his .45 from his ex wife to himself, but Philadelphia county has different laws from the rest of the state because that's where we were living at the time. I know it some areas, if not all, allow the transfer of handguns between family members at age 18 but now some boroughs & towns have enacted their own gun control laws so I don't know if this kind of stuff is the case in every area.
No boroughs counties or townships adopted any of their own laws. In Pa one legal gun owner can sell a LONG GUN (rifle/shotgun) to another legal gun owner regardless of township, city, borough or town. I can sell in Philadelphia face to face to a guy from Erie or Pittsburgh. A guy from Lancaster can sell to a guy from Philadelphia. There are no restrictions on face to face sales of LONG GUNS as long as both parties are legal and residents of Pa.

Handguns must be done at a FFL/gunshop. I can send it to your gunshop or you can send to mine or we can meet at one but it has to be done at an FFL. There is no registration but it's done like a gun store sale. Meaning you have to pass the background check. The only way to not is gift from a direct reletive. Parent to child. Grandparent to grandchild. Or vice versa. You CANNOT get a gift from an Uncle or a cousin.

There is NO restrictions on magazine, ammo, style, shape, look of firearms in different areas of Pa. If it's legal in Pa it's legal everywhere in Pa. You can have class 3 in Philadelphia just like you can have it in Harrisburg or State College or Youngstown.

Your parents cannot buy you a firearm. That is a straw purchase.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
Save yourself some possible trouble and just wait until you are 18 years old and buy it yourself. I know at your age, another year waiting can seem like an eternity but patience has it's own rewards with things like this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So in other words, one of my parents could buy the gun and gift it to me, but could I repay them in other ways than directly giving them cash (paying bills, buying groceries, fixing the house, etc.) since I technically wouldn't be repaying them monetarily? Like I could say that they're just favors that I decided to do. Would this be legal?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Since you are fimiliar with the AK....Why dont you buy a kit, tools, and build one? Plenty of advice and videos available on the net. I think you would enjoy an AK that you built, more than buying one...lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I honestly wouldn't mind the wait but we recently became members of a new range and we go shooting pretty often & I guess the fear of a ban is making me gung-ho on getting this soon haha

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
So in other words, one of my parents could buy the gun and gift it to me, but could I repay them in other ways than directly giving them cash (paying bills, buying groceries, fixing the house, etc.) since I technically wouldn't be repaying them monetarily? Like I could say that they're just favors that I decided to do. Would this be legal?
It doesn't matter how you pay. The seller can charge 1 million rupies or a 6 pack of twinkies. As long as both parties agree.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
I agree with waiting until your 18 to buy your own. Depending on when your birthday is (election year next year) it might be a better option. In the meantime, mags/parts/ammo are all cheap so stock up on that for the time being.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can buy the kit...buy the stock you want seperate...as long as the stock will fit the reciever...if you buy the kit...get one that is already headspaced and the barrel populated for your first one

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
You can buy the kit...buy the stock you want seperate...as long as the stock will fit the reciever...if you buy the kit...get one that is already headspaced and the barrel populated for your first one
Unless he has friends or acquaintances that are versed in building AK's, it no way shape or form is it good advice to recommend building a kit to a first time AK owning newbie. To many variables to just screw up and be left with junk parts and out of money that could just have easily gone towards a properly built rifle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will be 18 long before next election day so I guess waiting will be the best idea. Stocking up on ammo & various parts for now sounds smart too. I would really like all matching serial numbers and a neat, clean rifle for my first. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I'm not an expert, lol. I'll save that for later on down the road. Sure, I'm familiar with the platform, but not to the point where I'm capable of building my own rifle.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts