AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really a noob at this type of firearm, but it is the next thing I need in my collection.

I would really like a M1A, but they are a little out of my reach, price-wise, from what I have seen at shows and on Gunbroker.

I know nothing about FAL's, but see them advertised for more in my price range, $800 - $900. I am looking for a good practical shooter.

Should I just save a little longer and go with the M1A or are the FAL's good shooters?

Suggestions? Advice about alternatives what I should consider?

Thanks.

joedog

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I don't currently have a 308, so no firsthand experience, but you could look into a Saiga.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
I have a FAL and love it....

However, I recently bought a DPMS 308 Heavy Barrel for precision shooting.

Given .308s current price of .50/rnd I don't see the market for plinking battle rifles.

If a pile of cheap 308 surplus showed up it would change things quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I vote FAL... :grin:

Just something about the feel of one....

KyAKGuy

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've got 2 FALs, an Australian L1A1 clone and an Israeli short barrel clones. bought kits and had them built. They're my favorites if I want accuracy and longer range, they are heavy to shoot off hand for very long.

I wanted a 7.62 since I'd carried an M14 (and then an M16) and I just seem to shoot better with that cartridge - and my gun safe is full. I don't own an M1A but when I got thirsty for a 7.62 that's what I started after, they were just too spendy. I've got about $750 in each of my FALs, including the builder's costs. I've just started acquiring AKs and I'd have to say they're my favorite guns to shoot often, partly because they're cheaper to shoot. just my .02 worth.

·
Super Moderator
25,849 Posts
FAL...great for the money!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I've got an FAL, a Siaga 21 (308) and a Cetme.

The Saiga is great if your on a budget and if you like the AK platform. FAL's are also high on my list... cheap mags, easy to clean, just plain neat. Cetme/G3 platform... I'd pass. Neat gun, but not very ergonomic and boots quite a bit more than anything else due to the system.

M1A's, I'm sure are the cream. I've really only held them in the gunstore, and I'm sure if I fired one I'd fall in love. But I just can't justify that price.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
If you like/love shooting the M1 Garand you'll feel the same about the M1A it's an almost flawless transition.

I like both FAL and M1A .308s

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have both M-14 and FAL.

Let me re-phrase that. I have one M-14.

I have one L1A1 rifle, and L1A1 para, and L2 HB, and a bout a dozen more kits and receivers to build yet.

Guess which I vote for? :lol:

·
Registered
945 Posts
DSA Fals are better than my my factory FN Belgium Fal . I have both and DSA wins . M14's and G3's are a little more accurate but lack the balance and human engineering of the Fal . 100 countries that adapted the Fal cannot be wrong ! Its called the "Free Worlds Right Arm " for a reason !

·
Registered
943 Posts
joedog said:
Should I just save a little longer and go with the M1A or are the FAL's good shooters?
Are the FAL's good shooters? Depends on what you mean. Reliable? Yes. Accurate? Eh... I have experience with only one FAL (DSA)and the accuracy IMO leaves something to be desired. Never shot an M1A but a lot of competition shooters use them, if that tells you anything. Ive never heard of a competition FAL rifle. Not saying they dont exist, just that I've never heard of one. I have shot the DPMS LR .308 and it held much tighter groups than the FAL with the same ammo. I'd get the DPMS if I were you. Hell, for the price of an M1A, you can almost get the DPMS and the FAL. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My best shooting FAL type will shoot about as well as a bad M1A.

Get the best of both worlds sell something else and buy them both. :grin:

·
Registered
385 Posts
I own a few M1As (Polytech, Federal & Armscorp), STG58 & L1A1, and an HP91. They are all good. As already posted, cheap ammo is a thing of the past and limits theit range time. That's a reason I tried AKs.
The M1A is most accurate, hands down.
You should be able to find a decent Poly for around $800.
The STG58 & L1A1 are close 2nd and a bit simpler in design, less fussy.
The HK91 is really good but I find cleaning the roller system a pain.
These are battle rifles and were not expected to be tack drivers. they traded some accuracy for reliabilty under bad conditions.
I am not a fan of the ARs. I did buy a DPMS 5.56 and it requires frequent detail strpping for cleaning just to keep functioning.
You can beat an AK like the proverbial rented mule and it'll still work.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Open's safe:
FAL Check
M1A Check
G3 Check

I'm good! :mrgreen:

·
Banned
443 Posts
In the <$700 range I'd go with a converted Saiga. New Russian RPK, chrome-lined hammer-forged barrel, built-in optic rail, weighs like 8lbs.
<$1000 I'd go either FAL with a suplus para-length barrel if wanting a hard-core fighting rifle or DPMS LR308 for DMR/SAS type applications. I used to be VERY down on the AR10s (mostly because I owned 3 ArmaLite AR10s that were garbage) but recently I bought one of these LR308s since they were so cheap and it is a freakin tack driver, and not a single failure yet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts