AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
specifically, is there any? I've got a muzzle nut on one of my SARs that i threaded (i botched the job rather badly and the nut is the only device short enough to not betray the asymmetry of my threading) and to be honest, i kind of like the retro muzzle nut look and am considering putting one on another of my AKs as well. i'd be replacing an AKM style slant compensator. It got me to thinking though..
I had heard before that a slant compensator only counteracts muzzle rise to any noticible degree during full auto fire (not having any experience with select fire AKs i can't really comment on it's effectiveness in that role either, but I had heard it wasn't that great) and it provides little to no actual advantage (aside from looking cool) on a typical semi-auto AK. Is that correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Re: Advantage of a slant comp over a muzzle nut in semi-auto

Circle_10 said:
specifically, is there any? I've got a muzzle nut on one of my SARs that i threaded (i botched the job rather badly and the nut is the only device short enough to not betray the asymmetry of my threading) and to be honest, i kind of like the retro muzzle nut look and am considering putting one on another of my AKs as well. i'd be replacing an AKM style slant compensator. It got me to thinking though..
I had heard before that a slant compensator only counteracts muzzle rise to any noticible degree during full auto fire (not having any experience with select fire AKs i can't really comment on it's effectiveness in that role either, but I had heard it wasn't that great) and it provides little to no actual advantage (aside from looking cool) on a typical semi-auto AK. Is that correct?
looks cooler and my second shot on a racoon today was much faster I am sure...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
Muzzle nut indicates newbie shooter who either didn't pony up the money to get one with a muzzle device or not skilled enough to remove the muzzle nut. Other than that there is really no need. Some muzzle devices are louder than others even though there is little performance difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
The big advantage is quicker follow up shots IMO. Last week my son and I were shooting a non threaded SAR along side an AK with a 74 brake and there was a very noticable difference in recoil and follow up. YMMV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i haven't fired either of my SARs since i threaded them recently (not sure what happened with the one i screwed up but i botched it at the outset i think and it was downhill from there). but i guess that's true, the firing characteristics in terms of felt recoil, muzzle climb etc.. on an AK with a muzzle nut would be more or less identical to one with no muzzle device at all.
I guess it's an issue of aesthetics with me, the latest AK i bought is one of the Vector "hybrid" underfolders with stamped receiver but a large number of parts from a milled rifle also. with the milled style FSB and barrel i'm thinking a muzzle nut might look good. however i don't want to sacrifice too much practicality. Although i guess i should have thought of that before buying an underfolder which I hadn't considered beforehand is not compatible with the modified safety levers with the finger tabs. major "duh.." on my part ha ha :neutral:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,276 Posts
PanzerSlayer said:
Muzzle nut indicates newbie shooter who either didn't pony up the money to get one with a muzzle device or not skilled enough to remove the muzzle nut. Other than that there is really no need. Some muzzle devices are louder than others even though there is little performance difference.
what
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,725 Posts
I personally like the look of the muzzle nut on AK's & AKM's.

Muzzle nut vs. slant comp... double taps or rapid fire, I can't say that I can tell any significant difference on paper. There are much better MD's out there than the slant comp if you really want to reduce muzzle climb during rapid fire shooting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
machineguneddie said:
PanzerSlayer said:
Muzzle nut indicates newbie shooter who either didn't pony up the money to get one with a muzzle device or not skilled enough to remove the muzzle nut. Other than that there is really no need. Some muzzle devices are louder than others even though there is little performance difference.
what
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top