AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinda/sorta/ok definitely made a mistake and ended up ordering a Century M74 from Wideners recently. I was a tad leery but it seemed for the price that if nothing else it would be something to tinker with, assuming I lose the Century lottery.

The main thing I've read on the net is that the latest batch of these seem to have gas ports drilled too large. This means that I'd either have to send it back, install a new barrel, or see if I could regulate the gas. I'd rather not send it back and changing out the barrel would require some tools investment (not too concerned about that one) but I'm finding myself intrigued about putting a simple valve on the gas block to adjust the gas. I know some people have done that before but I'm not sure if it would correct a way over gassed rifle or not.

I was thinking of something like a small allen screw put in through the front of the gas block to be as discrete as possible. Would this work?

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Clever idea and then a dab of black silicone over hole once adjusted. Not ideal, but should work with proper alignment to the GB passage way.
Some discussion on this subject uses a pre-drilled stainless set screw threaded into the gas block opening after drilling and tapping to size.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would black silicone hold up to the heat from the gas block?

Given that I don't have the rifle yet, I'm probably putting the cart before the horse. My first 74 was/is a WW AK-74 that I intended to 'treat like shit' and I just couldn't. The M74 looks like something I could mess with and not cry about ruining like a $1300 Arsenal.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Silicone will hold up...just an option. If you go through all of this as stated, keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do, if it turns out to be over-gassed then I'll document any modifications.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've considered this very thing to help with function when suppressing my AK.

Putting a can on my AK resulted in much the same issue you describe: being overgassed. It caused sporadic function trouble where the bolt would outrun the magazine spring and fail to properly load a round into the chamber.

Let us know how it works if you do try this.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got it today; talk about a mix master. The dust cover, trunnion, bolt, and bolt carrier are all serial'd differently. Came with wood that was beat to hell and a muzzle brake that looks like it has a pressed in center insert instead of a zig zag pattern. Finish is parkerized and it has US made receiver, barrel, and grip. It appears it was test fired at least once as the insides had some thin pebble like material, especially around the operating spring. I'll find out if it's overgassed tomorrow - will be testing with Ulyanovsk manufactured Red Army Standard 69gr 5.45.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, took it out today and put 180 rounds of this Red Army Standard ammo through it. Ammo is poly coated, sealed primers, but clear necks. No keyholing at 16m or 25m, which are the max distances I can go. Recoil didn't seem better or worse than my WW AK-74 so I don't know if it's dangerously overgassed or not. The rear of the bolt did kiss the rear trunnion, but the carrier did not.

The good:
- Straight sights.
- Straight barrel.
- Mag well works with all my magazines.
- Came with two Circle 10 magazines.
- Parkerizing job looks decent.

The bad:
- Not chrome lined.
- The operating spring track on the rear trunnion seems tight or out of spec for the spring guide.
- The dust cover is twisted and difficult to lock in place because of the above. Have to rack it to get the guide to seat properly and allow the dust cover to lock in place.

The ugly:
- Paid way too much for it. I value it about $200 less than what I paid for it.
- The wood really is beat to hell.

I will be posting results of the ammunition as soon as I can get pictures of the insides.

The setup:

The kiss on the rear trunnion:

Results at 16m:

Results at 25m after 150 more shots:

The final results:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts