AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard would it be to put in a thumb selector on on of my AKs? Ive seen it on the Tantals and thought itd be a cool little project. Would it be possible to put one on my SAR1 or my SLR105? Or is this just a crazy idea I came up with because Im too bored? lol. Any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Sure you could, with some mods of course. You could probably make the Tantal type switch work if you can find a spare Tantal switch, or you could go the way of some Bulgarian rifles, Galils and even the Yugo M21 and do the switch that hangs down by the PG. You would of course, need that lever and a PG modified to clear the lever.

The only downside to that is it's a little awkward in that you pull the lever back to put it on fire, and forward for safety. Although... I have seen linkage used in some export model, semi-auto only Galils that make it forward/fire, back/safe. I think I might have pictures someplace (I did at one time)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yep the Galils (full auto) were forward safe-and pull rearward to fire. On the Semi auto versions brought in to the stated the safety was changed to the reverse. You can go to Numrichs and order the appropriate parts to do this. I bought the semi auto thumb selector parts to put into me first Galil build about 4 years ago, because the forward safe-and pull rearward to fire operation of the original safety was completely counter intuitive..

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp? ... I-AUTO&MC=

have a good one,

--->APB

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Not worth it, especially the bulgarian units. Way easier to "use" the standard safety.

And by use, I mean flip the selector to fire when you think you're going to be firing at something.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Talk to INRANGE

Troy sold me a modified 74' with a left side grip safety and to honest it works great-has a GALIL pistol grip.I had an AK where it was done but not like the one i have now and yep pretty much a wast of time.

Troy did this one right so it really is usefull....

·
Registered
446 Posts
i love the ak as is. but i have a couple tactical types that i would love a left side saftey on. when i get some of these other projects out of the way i am going to come up with an hk type saftey for these two rifles. i think in a tactical rifle its the ak platforms biggest short coming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts