AK Rifles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are my chances, if any, to adding a slank break to my Mak?. Not that I think it helps that much on semi auto but it looks better. The dia is .525. Best pic I could take with my camera.
Tool Cylinder Metal Wood Auto part

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
it's too far gone. .525 is 13.33. minor for m14x1 is 12.92
13.33 - 12.92 = 0.41 / 2 = 0.205mm
you cant expect a threaded member to hang on by less than a quarter of a mm of thread height. that's 0.008"
especially on a muzzle device.
if you really fill strong about having a slant, you could probably machine it pretty easily, it's a simple device to do just on a lathe.

but if you don't have a lathert then you can rethread for m13x1 and use one of these instead. better IMO than slant

this should looks pretty good on a a chinese AK and not too foreign either M13 x 1 RH Type 84 Birdcage Flash Hider w/ Wrench Flats

if rethreading you would need to file down your muzzle shank to just about under 13mm, like 12.9 thereabouts.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
1/2 -28 could also work but you would have to reduce barrel shank by .7 instead of .4 before you can start threading.
major diameter for 1/2-28 is 12.7 mm. could be too fiddly without a lathe or annular cutter.
if you go with this thread you gotta start keeping in mind that majority of devices out there for this thread will be .22 cal. not .30
some bad oopsie potential there for some one else down the line.

·
Registered
Mostly Soviet
165 Posts
1/2 -28 could also work but you would have to reduce barrel shank by .7 instead of .4 before you can start threading.
major diameter for 1/2-28 is 12.7 mm. could be too fiddly without a lathe or annular cutter.
if you go with this thread you gotta start keeping in mind that majority of devices out there for this thread will be .22 cal. not .30
some bad oopsie potential there for some one else down the line.
That's fair, 13x1LH would certainly be slightly more idiot proof, but you do cut out some potential flexibility on off the shelf muzzle devices outside of just muzzle nuts. I'm also of the opinion that I can't fix bubba's missing brain cells, if he Elmer Fudd's his muzzle because he was too stupid to know that a .22 cal muzzle device will clearly not work for .30, it calls into question one's competence to own a firearm; again in my humble opinion. It is about as idiotic as trying to shove 5.56 into a 5.45 barrel.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
not everyone is a builder/pro and there are plenty of people out there that are just users or simply beginners. we all started somewhere low on the knowledge scale. it's not necessarily stupid or incompetent. i made mistakes in my early days, i'm man enough to admit it. let's not chuck everyone into 'stupid' pile. sometimes it's a memory thing. people do get old, especially in this country, gun is an old man's hobby. having a mechanical safety is always better than just trying to remember to keep finger off the trigger. mistakes happen even to experienced people. it's just good practice to try to eliminate as many potential mishaps as possible, rather than count on someone to know something or be competent enough. you probably don't mind having airbags in your car even though you're never planning on crashing your vehicle into a brick wall ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts