AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at putting a buttstock on my Yugo M85 pistol. I think the buttstock I'm going to go with is one made by Manticore Arms.

I have to get a folding stock mechanism to mount between the stock and the rear of the rear trunnion. Ace sells their regular folding mechanism for $60 and their push button folding mechanism for $90. I've never actually seen or used either. For those who have, is the push button version worth $30 more? Why or why not?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am real interested in this also. I like the "crutch' type folder, I would like it NATO length, and I don't like the look of the Mako folders with so much protruding out the back of the receiver when folded. I would like a longer crutch with a short folding mech.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
I would not use the push button mechanism, from what I have heard it has a tendency to be loose and/or have some play in it.

The "normal" ACe hinge locks up nice and tight, plus it is cheaper.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I would not use the push button mechanism, from what I have heard it has a tendency to be loose and/or have some play in it.

The "normal" ACe hinge locks up nice and tight, plus it is cheaper.
I've read up the same from many sources on these here internetz haha. Push button Seems to be a weaker design overall with these.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I have both, and the reports are true. What happens is that the set screw in the upper right in the pic chews into the mechanism after several hundred rounds, causing there to be some play, and therefore it needs to be retightened. But after several hundred more rounds the same thing happens again, and so on. But I prefer the push-button over the other version and found that a little industrial grip tape solved the problem. After 6 years I have not once had to retighten anything.
IMG_2192.jpg

A500PB-FSM-PB-1.jpg
I am curious to try their new redesigned folding mechanism. If you decide to go with the standard folding mechanism, you should give the Stormwerkz version a look. Several posters on various forums have said that they prefer it.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If you decide to go with the standard folding mechanism, you should give the Stormwerkz version a look. Several posters on various forums have said that they prefer it.
Well then I'll probably just go with the Stormwerkz version as it's available with the buttstock shown above. Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if the Stormwerkz folding mechanism is made from aluminum like the Ace folding mechanism. Stormwerkz website doesn't say what it's made out of nor does it say how it's finished.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The Stormwerkz hinge is aluminum and it has an anodized finish. He is a member here too.

That Manicore Arms pic bugs me every time I see it. It's 5.56 gun with a 7.62 mag :confused:

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help. I ordered the Manticore Arms stock along with the Stormwerkz hinge. I'll let ya'll know my impressions when they arrive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts