AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:neutral: Got a question for the gurus. I ran into one of dad's friends today that has a Mak 90 for sale but there's one problem with it. It's a slant cut receiver and we're not into the Ironwood stuff, would rather use the chinese furniture to keep that downward slope at the buttstock like the chinese have. Was pondering the idea of cutting and bending a slice of sheetmetal to weld to the receiver and make it a square cut. I know that the chi-com receiver is 1.5 mm but I'd think that something could be found with a close thickness. Weld it up and useing a disc grinder to smooth out the weld and reblue it. Do ya'll think this would be feasible and has anyone done this before? Would be a time consumeing job just want some ideas and opinions. I'd think that it could be done and the weld smoothed down to where the split wouldn't show. Let's hear what ya'll think of this idea good and bad. Thanks for the time and info. :mad: Mad Max son of Madtechcool :cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
It's possible, but after welding/heating the receiver you probably will not be able to get the blued finish back to what it originally looked like.

KF

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Krinkfreak beat me to it .....I doubt that after welding you could get the blue to take to the weld and surrounding metal with equal results. A better option may be to cut and fit your patch piece then mount it to the bottom of the exposed piece of the buttstock. Possibly use a buttstock screw, once installed tack weld it, grind flush and refinish.

You will still have a "seam" where the 2 pieces of metal meet but if strict attention to detail is followed it should be hard to find until your looking directly at it. Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
My Mak iss slant cut and honestly the gap doesn't bother me. It is just as structuraly sound as a non slant cut. Just put the stock on and call it good!

You get your stuff I sent?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
slant cut

I remember when I bought my first mak90 in 1993, the dealer who was selling them had debanned one of his slant cut receivers, he had a piece of metal that attached somehow to the buttstock that filled in the gap. It was just for looks, but you had to really look to see it. Just an idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts