AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got back to the Stan after a couple month break back stateside.

Getting back in the swing of things and trying to keep our guns running with a minimum of tools,spare parts, and horrible logistic support when i'm not doing the job i'm paid for. Story of my life.

So no shit there I was….

Yesterday one of the fellas was having an issue with one of our yugo RPK’s so I went in our armory to find a couple of tools and spare parts to get it up and running and while inside I took a look around at our spare/non issued weapons pile when I ran across this thing and several other type I and II’s.

Jackpot.

One of the guys probably saw the banged up stock, rubbed off bluing, and slightly corroded finish in spots and just left it sitting in the corner thinking it was non serviceable like the majority of the weapons we have laying around.

To date I have been around 8-900 various AK pattern weapons here that i'm responsible for, and I have never seen one in as good condition as this.

Most of the weapons you find are cobbled together , shot out, hunks of shit with non matching parts.That includes the non headspaced bolts from swapping between guns. You get the picture.

This is the second AK out of 800-900 I have seen so far with matching numbers.

Its an Izmash manufactured (1953) Type II with matching numbered receiver/bolt/bolt carrier/gas tube/hand guard(just barely visible)/receiver cover/and recoil spring assembly.
The stock is serviceable but in bad condition and im assuming its original as well.

After detail stripping this rifle I would guess that it has had less than 300 rounds fired through it in its life.

The hammer, disconnector, and full auto sear (as well as the interior of the receiver and barrel under the handguards) are still blued and show almost no wear.

I removed old cosmoline from the trigger/underside of the disconnector/and beneath the pistol grip. First time I have seen any cosmoline on any weapon here as the durkas usually clean them with diesel fuel which tends to remove that stuff.

The barrel is absolutely pristine.

As a matter of fact the crown was what caught my eye at first as the vast majority of them are completely shot/corroded/and or destroyed from lack of maintenance and improper cleaning. I saw this ones crown gleaming away ;)

Somebody kept this weapon in very good working order.

Im fairly certain that somebody was killed while carrying it at one point as some of the pitting on the receiver and topcover looks like it was caused by blood that was not removed for some time.

Next to the serial number on the trunnion someone “overstamped” a no. 1 at the end of the serial no. as well as 2 stamps above the izmash symbol. There are tons of little stamps all over this weapon.

Im assuming this gun was either sold to another country by the Russians who then overstamped it, or it’s a PLO capture weapon that the CIA issued to the muj to fight Russians.

What do you guys think?

I know very little about the overstamps and random stamps on these outside of factory codes/symbols on the trunnions.

Any help possibly tracking this down/theories on where it came from, links to places to look for info/etc would be much appreciated.

I have her cleaned and lubed up and once things settle down around here in the next few days am going to zero it and run it a bit and assuming there are no issues its going to become my issued rifle \m/.

I have friends spread out all over the country on the lookout for a decent type II stock and really wish I could do something about the finish, but with limited resources am not sure what I can do about that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Anyway, hope you enjoy these pics (will try to get some video on the range as well).

S/F,
Buck

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
AWESOME! Thank you so much for sharing this! I read the whole thing before scrolling down to the pictures, but I dont see any! hehehe

Edit, there they are!

Nice, you even have a t1 selector!

Can you show us a picture of the stock and lower hand guard, with a detail shot of the serial on the lhg?

Thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
evolixsurf my pleasure. Not a problem on the pics, its 2 in the morning here now and i have to get some sleep but will get pics for you later today when its light out and throw them up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are still around for sure. I put in a request for about $1500.00 worth of AK building tools so hopefully our HQ bites...fingers crossed.

As requested here are a few more pics of the stock, the lower handguard (i cant get a very good pic of the numbers but with the naked eye you can still make out the 9 and 5 from the serial no. and i took a few of both sides of the reciever to show the markings/overstamps.

Of interesting note the gas tube or piston guide as they are called in some places is almost a perfect fit in the rear sight base. There is zero slop or rattle. It's almost like they hand fit it to the RSB before refinishing in the factory.

We are gonna go hit the range here in a few hours and i will try to get some video up on youtube and my facebook page later today.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Very cool! It has at least one, possibly two refurbishment stamps. What's in the triangle just to the upper right of the Izhmash roll mark? I believe the (0) is an accuracy proof, and the (K) is a point of aim proof.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
miner1436 thanks much for the info. Instead of me trying to explain the stamp, i drew (poorly i might add) a picture of what i can make out. Its smoothed over and looks like there was either an aborted attempt to emplace another stamp or Mr. Stampy McStamperton got a case of the jitters and walked his tool all over the gun.

Short clip of it running. Shoots straight and runs well \m/

·
Registered
251 Posts
So what happens to great finds like this that have somewhat of a historical value later on down the line, or are these a bit more common that no one even cares?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Interesting on the triangle, could be many things. A few that jump to mind- poorly applied Iraqi "Jeem" stamp, poorly applied DDR stamp, or maybe just a somewhat botched factory proof.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Dude! That's dope! I love your commentary at the end of the vid, Lol! You got a sub

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great find,thanks for sharing.As far as the stock,if you can get any acetone or turpentine you could let it soak over night.Should lift everything of without having to sand the crap out of it.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
So there I was, balls deep, saving these photos for reference when I noticed an odd feature on this rifle.

1. Look at the mag release housing. It is squared and hasnt been rounded. Ive never seen that before.

I wonder if that somehow came out of the factory like that or is a replacement.

You still have that rifle around 03humpalot?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Howdy fellas,
im back stateside and currently building AR based systems with a former team mate from Iraq and no longer have access to these guns. I apologize for taking forever to get back to you fellas on this. Both my laptop and external har drive decided to die within a week of each other before I could get everything backed up so I lost TONS of pictures. SAD PANDA

1 - 19 of 19 Posts