AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 91/30 was taken by Frenchy from an NVA sniper that was operating in the An Lo area (I think) in 1968. From what he told me, this guy was good, and was responsible for around 20 American KIAs in the area. Its an all matching Russian 1944 manufactured 91/30 with a Polish scope, so I'm guessing it was refurbed by the Poles at some point, then sent to Vietnam.
I would like to publically thank Frenchy for trusting me with this rifle to document for the benefit of other collectors. I'd love to hear your thoughts and observations on this rifle, and let me know if there are any specific pictures you would like me to take. With that being said, I will NOT remove the action from the stock for any reason because I was told not to. For anyone who is interested, the name you see carved in the stock is the name of NVA sniper who previously owned the rifle, and no longer had a use for it. Enjoy the pics!

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Beautiful. Thank you to both you and frenchy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Very cool, maybe Frenchy can enlighten us on how it made its way to the USA...
As long as it was BEFORE the GCA 68 you could ship just about anything back with the right paperwork and your CO's OK. Back then servicemen were trusted by their government and 'War Trophys' were allowed. That how the 'real AK's' got here in the states.

AFTER the GCA 68 came about, only semi autos and bolt actions were allowed. That's how my first Tokarev pistol got here. It brought GOOD money 25 years ago when I sold it.

·
Super Moderator
26,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as it was BEFORE the GCA 68 you could ship just about anything back with the right paperwork and your CO's OK. Back then servicemen were trusted by their government and 'War Trophys' were allowed. That how the 'real AK's' got here in the states.

AFTER the GCA 68 came about, only semi autos and bolt actions were allowed. That's how my first Tokarev pistol got here. It brought GOOD money 25 years ago when I sold it.
Correct. It was totally legal for a US serviceman to send something like home. The last War that Soldiers were allowed to bring back weapons was Grenada. There might have been a few others from the Gulf, but I doubt many were legally brought home on a DD form.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Very cool, maybe Frenchy can enlighten us on how it made its way to the USA...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------I brought that home(91/30) along with a SKS and a ChiCom pistol---Well we were able to bring back a total of 3 different weapons on anyone tour on a form DD603,,Plus 700 rds.(1 tin of ammo) for each weapon-rifle, pistol or shoot gun.As long as they were not American made or any country that was supporting the S.Vietnamese.As far as NVA uniform and web gear at that time it was"All You Could Stuff in a C Ration case" or your duffel bag"Thats not counting what was sent home via other routes.Now the whole bring back system fell apart.Which is so wrong--They now only want you to give up your life or limbs.Just look what you have for your congressmen and women as well as your senators.And it is a fact that some of them think that ex military folks should not be able to own any type of firearm.I know I'm getting off subject so I will end my half rant.Yes we were allowed to bring back most of our captured war trophies. And after 68 only simi or cranker rifles and captured pistols..NVA uniforms and web gear--My best Frenchy

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The one I have here has the paperwork which consisted of a vietnamese export form on rice paper and another one from the US Army authorizing it into CONUS. It's a Type 53 though, IIRC I posted some pics in the C&R forum awhile back.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Correct. It was totally legal for a US serviceman to send something like home. The last War that Soldiers were allowed to bring back weapons was Grenada. There might have been a few others from the Gulf, but I doubt many were legally brought home on a DD form.
None from Desert Storm, Stormin Norman said no war trophies. Anything that was brought back was illegal or brought back as a unit trophy / training aid. Our company arms room had a dozen or more AK's and RPK's that were brought back. Army myth was that in Grenada the Ranger CO's signed paperwork and allowed guys to bring back weapons including AK's, this was told to me by a Ranger Grenada Vet.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Frenchy: thank you for sharing a very personal part of your history.

Great pics!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Thanks to both of you for sharing and especially to Frenchy for sticking it out to begin with.

The scope has certainly been through Poland and the stock finish looks like other Polish service examples I've seen, as well (not having the thick, Russian shellac). I'm not sure how they sourced all of their weapons/parts, but they seemed to get a little bit of everything. I know that the Hungarian M52 (PU sniper) was commonly encountered and I've seen a few M52 bringbacks.

Very, very cool and an amazing example, in terms of condition, as well.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Its an all matching Russian 1944 manufactured 91/30 with a Polish scope, so I'm guessing it was refurbed by the Poles at some point, then sent to Vietnam.

A beautiful rifle, but it would appear the scope is Russian, made by the Progress Optics firm, not Polish; note the convex symbol under the Hammer/Sickle. Yes?

·
Super Moderator
26,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You may be correct about the original manufacturer of the scope, but it does have Polish markings:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Beautiful rifle for being carried around the bush for who knows how long. Thanks for sharing guys.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Very nice PU sniper Joe, and you are correct, the scope, while Russian mfg is a Polish refurb. It also isn' t the original to the rifle since it's s/n doesn't maych the barrel shank number, but this is no bg deal since these rifles saw hard use in the field and swapping out a damaged scope is common.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Cool rifle and thanks to Frenchy for his service....seeing as this VC was a skilled sniper I would love to hear the story of how and when and where he was taken down and the rifle acquired..Nothing like a good war story!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts