AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another forum, I was exchanging messages with a guy who said that the Vietnamese sent some of their Type 56s to the Salvadorian FMLN guerrillas. He said the following of the rifles: "As for the Type-56 Chinese Ak's, Most were sanitized except for selector markings being in Chinese and the fact that most were of the earlier variant that had a sloped top rear section on the Top back of the receiver which was not of the original Russian design."

Does anyone here know about those rifles? What years were they manufactured, and did they have machined or stamped receivers? and folding bayonets?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some guy told you something that makes no sense.

Why don't you ask him what he means?
"most were of the earlier variant that had a sloped top rear section on the Top back of the receiver which was not of the original Russian design."

I was wondering if you might have know something about this. The receiver difference.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I did a simple google image search of Salvadorian FMLN guerrillas and there are several different variants of AKs but none are Chinese. Can you or your friend forward a picture?

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
A picture would be really nice. Trying to picture what a sloped top etc, etc would look like, or what is. Sorry.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a simple google image search of Salvadorian FMLN guerrillas and there are several different variants of AKs but none are Chinese. Can you or your friend forward a picture?
He doesn't have any pics. Sorry. But he said you could find them on google easily enough, if memory serves. Also are you familiar with the Institute for Research on Small Arms in International Security, Edward Ezell's organization? I'm asking because years ago, Lawrence J. Whelan went to El Salvador to examine some weapons that the Salvadoran government captured from the FMLN guerrillas. He authored several papers on the subject. Here is one of them: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/us.military.army/lhtpAybO8Bo

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
"... most were of the earlier variant that had a sloped top rear section on the Top back of the receiver which was not of the original Russian design."

I can't imagine what he meant by this, unless he's describing the T2 butt socket on back of the receiver. In that case, he's mistaken because only the Soviets produced that variant.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"... most were of the earlier variant that had a sloped top rear section on the Top back of the receiver which was not of the original Russian design."

I can't imagine what he meant by this, unless he's describing the T2 butt socket on back of the receiver. In that case, he's mistaken because only the Soviets produced that variant.
He said the receiver cover was slanted more than normal.

·
Technical Advisor
15,344 Posts
"Vietnam" stories about weapons are often inaccurate and based on the limited knowledge of the weapons during the 1960's and early 1970's.
Today the number of imports and collector and other knowledge has eradicated a lot of the old stories.
But some stories still get told and repeated. :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
When I was there 65 66 we captured only Chinese with folding bayonets that were milled. I did not see any under folders just full wood stock. More common to capture was the SKS. Chinese, North Vietnamese and East German ones I saw.

·
Registered
497 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you look above the lightening cut you can see the raised area that only T2's had.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Richard W.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
I thought it was a Type 3. After all, the lightening cut on the receiver side looks slanted, not straight as in the Type 2s.
You’ve got it backwards. T3 lightening cut is parallel to the lower edge of the receiver, T2 is slanted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts