AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking to a friend recently about the upper sling bar on Soviet rifles like the SKS & AK47/74. It always seemed odd why they used a long sling bar with rectangular slot on the hand guard retainer, yet designed a sling with D-ring and steel clip to be used with it. The slot seems designed to take a leather loop...not unlike what the Chinese use on their slings. Perhaps it was a hold over when slings like that for the PPsH & Tokarev rifles were in use. In any event, he complained that the metal clip tends to make a lot of noise and scrapes up the sling bar over time. I told him I had found a work-around. This consists of taking a small piece of aircraft grade shrink-sleeve, slipping it around the upper half of the hook, and shrink-fitting it to the hook with use of a heat gun. It seems to reduce the rattle of the clip, and eliminates much of that metal-on-metal wear the clip makes sliding up & down on the sling bar. Just thought others might find this beneficial as well:

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z338/corianis6/AKclipprot1_zpsf58ee2b1.jpg

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z338/corianis6/AKclipprot2_zps7356b524.jpg

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Very slick idea, and not really noticeable.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comment. I think the shrink sleeve is 1/4 inch diameter. There is 1/8 but the material will not flex enough to bend around the "U" of the clip (the 1/4 inch barely makes it as is). One gets a few wrinkles on the inside of the "U" when shrunk, but that is due to the disproportionate way the material is stretched around the curve of the hook.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yeah, I hate the steel clips. I much prefer using Chinese AK or SKS slings on my AKs for this reason. The Soviet subgun, SVT-40, and WW2 "ersatz" emergency pattern slings are also a better alternative, to me, because of their leather strap ends.

The early Bulgarian "universal" leather sling with the D-rings and clips removed from each end would also be a better alternative if the Bulgarians had just made it a one piece sling instead of that stupid and annoying 2 piece design that always has part of it sliding around, hanging down, getting in the way, and looking like crap.

I don't know why the Soviets and other users didn't just stick with the early Type 1 and Type 2 designs that had the leather strap and buckle, instead of that clunky, noisy, destructive clip.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Great mod! I have a few slings that I removed the metal clip from and used a Chinese leather tab in it's place. Only issue is that it doesn't look original and I have no idea where the clips went.

Where is the best place to find this stuff?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shrink sleeve can likely be purchased at any electronics store, since it's primary use is to slip over wiring. Let's say you are going to splice two wires together or add a connector to the end of a piece of wire. Slide an appropriately sized piece over the wire before you splice or crimp. Then just slide it over the exposed wiring and/or end of connector afterwards, and heat with heat gun (or even a good hair dryer set on "hot" should work). With wiring, don't expose the area too long to high heat or the original insulation could get excessively hot and melt. On the sling clip, just wave it a couple of inches in front of the heat source and rotate it around to heat the shrink sleeve so it will shrink uniformly. It will shrink down to about 50% of it's original diameter, and loose perhaps 10-15% in length. One could always cut a piece and slip it over a thin steel rod, Phillips screwdriver shaft, etc. to see how it reacts before you do it on your sling clip(s). It will only shrink so far, and if it is still loose after heating, you need to go to the next smaller diameter. Comes in a variety of colors, too!

·
Registered
162 Posts
You can also remove the snap clip and use a Mosin Nagant style leather dog collar on the D ring for the forward swivel attachment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts