AK Rifles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wondered for years when the "first blooding" of the AK happened.The earliest documented action I've seen is the Hungarian Revolution of 1956,this was also the first time the CIA came in possession of one.

Another question I've been researching,off and on,for years.What were some of the first battles the AK was used in.Other than the Hungarian Revolution in 1956 and the Checz Revolt in 1968,there were some Border disputes between the Chinese and the Soviets and of course Vietnam.Anyone know of any others from 1949 to 1969?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hey John, some were used in Viet Nam befroe 68 but I don't know how wide spread. Also the didn't the Egyptions have some in the 6 day war?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Fireman said:
Hey John, some were used in Viet Nam befroe 68 but I don't know how wide spread. Also the didn't the Egyptions have some in the 6 day war?
The Egyptians did - I was just reading about this a few days ago.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats right,............1967.I had forgot that one.I'd say there were alot of "secret" battles along the borders between East and West that are still classified.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not sure of the AK, but Ian Hogg wrote that the 7.62 M43 was used out of EARLY prototype SKS' against Nazi's in March'45

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Most people doubt that the SKS saw action in WWII. However, yes, it did.

Just like with the M-44, the Soviets released a prototype design to frontline soldiers to get their opinion on how good the rifle was. There were M-44 rifles in 1943 and there were SKS rifles in 1945- "45" is also in the original Russian name of the gun, the SKS 45.

The RPD was already in Soviet WWII use in 1943 and thus there was- although limited- 7.62x39mm ammunition in troops hands. Also, as for proof, you will hate me but rent the History Channels WWII documentary for when the Russians defeated the Germans and pushed to Berlin. In the documentary there is a flash of a soldier aiming an SKS. If someone has a DVD player on their computer and can rent that DVD, PLEASE get the freeze frame of that shot.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
In the documentary there is a flash of a soldier aiming an SKS. If someone has a DVD player on their computer and can rent that DVD, PLEASE get the freeze frame of that shot.
+1

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
i saw a movie w/subtitles about german POWs being shuffled threw small soviet outposts just after the end of WW2 and the guard shot a runner with an SKS .

wish i could remember the title .

:doh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts