AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year my father in law asks me to look at a couple rifles. He doesn't know much about them...

...One is an Arisaka, one is a k98. Both are rough. I tell him about them and he says they were his dads, and that the (German) one his father brought back from the war. There was rust all over it and the stock had some type of varnish or poly on it. It was missing a few pieces too, but it had potential.

I look up a general value on it and he gets excited. "Oh boy Ill take it down to the pawn shop and see what they will give me" :eek:

He's hurting for money. I tell him as a last resort, I will buy the rifle from him, but he should seriously sell it to one of his sons if anything to keep it in the family, putting aside the fact that he should be GIVING it....but whatever. He's the type that will take the lower amount from a quick sale rather than wait a week to get a decent amount. He side steps the money problem and is able to keep the rifle.

Fast forward a year later... More money problems. I just shake my head and give him some money and take the rifle.

Completely stripped it down, and figured out what I needed. Fortunately no serialized parts were missing. Found a guy on gunbroker who was able to get all the parts I needed! Cleaned off all the rust and the blue was actually still pretty good.

Parts arrived, cleaned those up to match the condition. Now I know its bad juju to refinish the stock, but its already been crapped on with whatever finish was on it. At least it wasn't sporterized like the Arisaka!

So over the weekend I cleaned up the wood, and put it all back together.

100% matching numbers and of course no import marks.

One day my son will be given this rifle as its from his great grandfather. Unfortunately I had to use the almighty dollar in lieu of bloodline to obtain this to pass it on but that's the way it is.

Also unfortunately, I had to sell an AK to cover the cost of this. With that said if anyone plans on selling a stamped underfolder yugo kit later down the road please let me know. I'm a bit broke right now from buying two kits this month but I will most certainly be filling in the void. I figured I have quite a few yugos to tide me over in the meantime.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Wow what a beautiful rifle it turned out to be! Nice catch, at least you have control over it not saying his sons would have sold it but you never know!

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
You did a wonderful job restoring it! Does it have the front sight protector, and is the stock marked with an "H"? If your interested in a repro sling, shoot me a PM and I'll let you know where you can get one.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tapeo1 said:
Looks great. How's the bore on it? How about a few pics of the Arisaka too? :grin:
For some reason, the bore is nice and crisp!

I don't have pics of the Arisaka. I remember the flower was ground off though. Last time I saw it he was trying to sell it at a yard sale.

JoeMomma said:
You did a wonderful job restoring it! Does it have the front sight protector, and is the stock marked with an "H"? If your interested in a repro sling, shoot me a PM and I'll let you know where you can get one.
It does have the hood. I didn't see an H, although on the inside there are some nice stamps, one was a date, but I don't remember the rest. Inside is unfinished, and its very clean.

I'm going to spend the money on an original. I have some decent old post war mp40 slings I can sell to cover the cost.

Thanks guys :smile:

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Panzer said:
Dang man, I have a soft spot for K98's. That's a beautiful example of a Steyr factory rifle.
Me too!!!
Damn nice rifle you've acquired there and now I hate you! :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
holy hell thats awesome!!

do you have any before pics? I can't hardly believe there was any rust on that at all!

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
I know where you can lay your hands on an original...its not going to be cheap, but they are a reputable dealer. If your front sight protector is the correct BNZ one, it will have a slight round shape, and I caution you to not remove it unless you have to. Even with reverse pliers, these things SUCK to try and get back on.

For some basic light reading on your rifle, try here:
http://www.ycgg.org/pdfpages/ww2/Steyr.pdf

For the best results at the range, try and stay with ammo that has a bullet weight of 198 grains. Romanian stuff will work, but its generally not as accurate, and its a bit dirty. It does go bang every time though, and that's always good.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
WOW! That's really nice!

I was expecting a decent K98 with a cracked stock and a brown patina until I scrolled down. :hail:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Great story and great rifle. It couldn't have been that bad because it turned out amazing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts