AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, when did the AKK start to have a synthetic pistol grip and buttstock? The 1970s? Second, does anyone know where they were exported to during the Communist era?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
First off, when did the AKK start to have a synthetic pistol grip and buttstock? The 1970s? Second, does anyone know where they were exported to during the Communist era?
A few years back, I did a ton a research on Bulgarian AK's, but information on early stuff is slim pickins. From what I gathered, Factory 10 officially started production of the AKK in 1956, with the 1st Type 3 being released in 1958. As I'm sure you know, the original stock sets were wood. There is very little data as to when Arsenal "first" started to produce the AG-4 (bakelite/plastic) stock sets, but my best estimate is the mid 1970's.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they start pinning the barrels in instead of screwing them in at the same time?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Did they start pinning the barrels in instead of screwing them in at the same time?
I have no concrete data as to exactly when this barrel attachment transition happened, but in looking at early photos of the AKK, and later photos when they transitioned to the AG-4 stock sets, they do appear to have made the transition to pinning.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no concrete data as to exactly when this barrel attachment transition happened, but in looking at early photos of the AKK, and later photos when they transitioned to the AG-4 stock sets, they do appear to have made the transition to pinning.

What year is that rifle?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you believe American collectors, 1978. If you believe the president of Arsenal of Bulgaria, then its a mystery.

They transitioned to pinned barrels (and no dates) in the early 70s.
So did they make those rifles for export only then?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, does anyone know who they were exported to during Communism? Middle East, Latin America?

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Is there any way to date these milled bulgy rifles by serial number?

Ive tried in the past and came up empty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts